CNC Recommendations

Chris Geldof

Hello. I'm new to woodworking, and looking for a tool/machine that can take an Image, or input the dimensions of a specific pattern and it's cut. From researching it looks like a CNC wood cutting machine? I've attached an example of what I'd like to create and to see if it's possible. The cut is one piece from that i can tell and has holes for the earrings. This is something my wife (Teacher) and 11 year old daughter would be using. They enjoy making things for their earrings and etc and would be great for my wife creating things for her classroom. (Hoping this machine can be used for other things as well). Depending on price, engraving metal would be great addition. (small stainless steel, sterling silver) so they could engrave letters, initials, names etc on charms/necklaces. As far as the computer side of things shouldn't be an issue (I'm an IT engineer) so I would need the software to be compatible with mac. Any recommendation's would be greatly appreciated. Price wise, I'm trying to stay under/around $500. Here are the dimensions of the picture I've included. Please let me know if any additional information is needed. The wood being used is on the lower cost (nothing cherry, oak and etc.)

15.7"x 9.3" size, 105g weight and 0.19 inch thickness

Attachments

• comb.png
    comb.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 8
Hello. I'm new to woodworking, and looking for a tool/machine that can take an Image, or input the dimensions of a specific pattern and it's cut. From researching it looks like a CNC wood cutting machine? I've attached an example of what I'd like to create and to see if it's possible. The cut is one piece from that i can tell and has holes for the earrings. This is something my wife (Teacher) and 11 year old daughter would be using. They enjoy making things for their earrings and etc and would be great for my wife creating things for her classroom. (Hoping this machine can be used for other things as well). Depending on price, engraving metal would be great addition. (small stainless steel, sterling silver) so they could engrave letters, initials, names etc on charms/necklaces. As far as the computer side of things shouldn't be an issue (I'm an IT engineer) so I would need the software to be compatible with mac. Any recommendation's would be greatly appreciated. Price wise, I'm trying to stay under/around $500. Here are the dimensions of the picture I've included. Please let me know if any additional information is needed. The wood being used is on the lower cost (nothing cherry, oak and etc.)

15.7"x 9.3" size, 105g weight and 0.19 inch thickness
Chris, that is a very complex question

Wife (teacher)
11 year old daughter
Classroom
Metal engraving (stainless steel, silver)
engraving charms, necklaces (assuming 3D)
Using softwoods
Compatible with mac
Under $500

Is your wife as computer literate as you are?
Even with a highly computer literacy mind the ability to operate a cnc machine, either a wood cutting router of a laser machine is quite a steep learning curve. It is not plug and play. It is a pretty complex skill set to have.

It is NOT impossible - lots of people do it. It is enjoyable, creative, and productive.

Your asking for a lot for $500.

You can buy a very inexpensive CNC table top router most likely Chinese and some software to program it. I normally recommend Vectric for programming, but it is not designed to run on mac, however I know that some users use Parallels. You can do some research in that direction. There are way too many cnc machine options available to make any recommendations.

I forgot to mention, she would not be using this in school. 😃 I’m more concerned with it being able to cut wood than engrave metal. They use our cricut for a lot of things at home and want to work with wood. For wood, should I consider laser higher than 20 watt?

should I consider laser higher than 20 watt?
a 20 watts would work but for harder woods a more powerful one would be better. The harder woods require multiple passes and the lower the power the more passes you have to make. Some of the newer one have auto focus so as you make one pass they and change the focal point, this helps some on thicker woods. I have a 36 watt and do wood and engrave on metal and glass.

I have a 100w Co2 laser and a larger hobby level CNC router.

There are different kinds of laser machines as well as different kinds of CNC routers.

My wife has 2 Cricut machines

You can add a laser module to your cnc router depending on what you end up with.
You cannot add cnc routing to your laser machine.

You can add a donesk knife to a CNC router to do things similar to the cricut
You CAN engrave metals on a CNC router.
I cannot engrave metal on my laser (there are some workarounds BUT)

A CNC router is very versatile
A laser machine - is a laser machine.

a 20 watts would work but for harder woods a more powerful one would be better. The harder woods require multiple passes and the lower the power the more passes you have to make. Some of the newer one have auto focus so as you make one pass they and change the focal point, this helps some on thicker woods. I have a 36 watt and do wood and engrave on metal and glass.
Really appreciate all the info. For laser, any brands I should check out or stay away from? Obviously everyone has different opinions but just like to hear the “make sure it certainly has this” and/or “stay away from this brand. Or “the must haves”. I see a recommendation for 20 watt diode laser. Anyone else use this?

I am using a ATEZR 20 diode laser, I work with wood Ply and wood up to 6 mm , I have no problem cutting both with 1 pass. I love my laser but the company does not have the best reputation in their customer service dept.

I am using a ATEZR 20 diode laser, I work with wood Ply and wood up to 6 mm , I have no problem cutting both with 1 pass. I love my laser but the company does not have the best reputation in their customer service dept.
Where do you get the wood? I'm assuming it has to be certain wood for laser cutting? DId software come with it? So you would be able to cut this with ease? 0.19 inch thickness

Attachments

• comb.png
    comb.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 5
I have the ATEZR 35 Pro and have no problems. The L2 newer version has auto focus which would be nice to have.
I too use lightburn and love the software.

atzer v35 laser engraver