Chicken and Rice soup for a cool and damp day....

Mike Stafford

This is one of the most unusual and delicious chicken and rice soup recipes that I have encountered. We have been making it for about 5 years now and have shared it with quite a few people. They all seem to love it.

It only takes about hour to make although there is a lot of chopping to be done. I do this chopping with my OXO vegetable chopper. It is one of those old fashioned choppers that is mounted on a spring and you just press down on the top quickly and it chops whatever you put below it quite finely depending on how many chops you give it.

What makes this recipe unusual is that it has green peppers and pimento peppers in it. Give it a try. It is delicious.

Simple, Hearty Chicken and Rice Soup

COOK TIME:
1 Hours SERVINGS: 6 Servings

INGREDIENTS

1 cup (before Cooking) White Rice 2 lbs. whole Chicken Breasts

2 heaping teaspoons commercial chicken base (Better than Bouillon) (I measure this with a regular flatware teaspoon, not a measuring spoon)

2 quarts chicken stock 2 Cups water for the rice

1 Carrot diced 1 Medium Onion diced 1 Green Bell Pepper diced

Pimento (I small jar drained) (dice the pimentos after draining) 1 Stalk of Celery diced (We like everything diced to about a 1/8" cube)

6 Tablespoons Butter for roux 6 Tablespoons Flour for roux

2 Tablespoons Butter for Sautéing vegetables ¼ teaspoon turmeric (I use a heaping 1/4 teaspoon)

INSTRUCTIONS

Cook up some rice. Wash two whole chicken breasts (skin, bones and all {most of the time we use boneless breasts for convenience}) and place them in a pot; cover with 2 quarts of water. Stir in the chicken base so it will dissolve. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook until chicken is done, about twenty minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and let cool for a few minutes. Cut all the meat from the bones and chop into bite-sized pieces.

Drain the jar of pimentos. Finely dice the vegetables including the pimentos.

In a skillet, melt 6 tablespoons of butter. When it is all melted, make a roux by adding 6 tablespoons of flour. Stir until thickened and then add it to the pot of chicken broth. Stir well.
In a 10 or 12 inch skillet, melt another two tablespoons of butter and throw in all of the diced veggies. Stir, then add the chicken. Sprinkle with a dash or two of salt (Although the recipe calls for salt we don't add any. We think the chicken base adds enough salt.) Cook for a couple of minutes and then add the chicken mixture to the broth.

Add in the cooked rice. (You can vary the amount of rice based on your preferences). Add in the ground turmeric. Stir thoroughly and bring everything to a boil before serving.