Broken tooth on blade.......fix or throw away?

Tom Baugues

Tonight I was gifted a brand new pair of 10 inch table saw blades. A 60 tooth and a 40 tooth. As the owner picked them up to show them to me, both blades fell out of the package and crashed to the cement floor very hard. One of the two blades now has a broken carbide tooth. Can these teeth be rewelded, or not worth it? Or could that one tooth be removed completely and still use the blade? Or would that be a bad balance issue?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    959.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 11
The tooth can be replaced - but be very leery of BOTH blades. Hitting the floor may have fractured mor than just one tooth on both blades and running them up to speed on the saw may result in fragments flying off like miniature bullets. I had it happen with a Freud blade many years ago - had to have a couple fragments picked out of my arm and cheek.

Tom, Best I can tell these blades are not terribly expensive and it might be better to just buy a replacement unless you can get an estimate from a local shop. I send my blades to Forest and they will replace tips as part of the process for $8, but by the time you figure in the cost of shipping you’re close to the cost of a new blade.

Tom, Best I can tell these blades are not terribly expensive and it might be better to just buy a replacement unless you can get an estimate from a local shop. I send my blades to Forest and they will replace tips as part of the process for $8, but by the time you figure in the cost of shipping you’re close to the cost of a new blade.
I guess I'll just toss it out. I really didn't "need" the blades but they were very nice new ones and were being given to me at no cost.

The tooth can be replaced - but be very leery of BOTH blades. Hitting the floor may have fractured mor than just one tooth on both blades and running them up to speed on the saw may result in fragments flying off like miniature bullets. I had it happen with a Freud blade many years ago - had to have a couple fragments picked out of my arm and cheek.
I'll take a very close look at them with a magnifier.

I have had blades that look worse repaired. I have also had blades that looked better be rejected. Your sharpener should know what is repairable and what is not. If they go to scratchin' their heads look for another shop ;-) Indiana is to heck and gone from Oregon but I use Snook's Saw in Oregon. There should be a quality sharpener in your area. That being said I have to go past the far end of my state (which is lonnnng and skinny) to get a consistent result that I trust.