Bird Bath and Flower Pot

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
My longtime friend and bass player Jeff was looking for a bird bath for his back yard a few months ago and didn't like the prices he was seeing, so he decided to try his hand at making his own. Jeff had never done any ceramic work, although he's carved quite a few wood spirits and gotten quite good at it, and has shown he has a knack for that type of thing. (When he and I were roommates back in the '80s, he used to sculpt small figurines out of the wax he'd save from wheels of gouda cheese, lol.) He went to the local ceramic supply shop and bought a 50 pound block of clay, got a few tips on construction methods, and dove in. The bird bath was the first thing he tried. It's shaped to fit the stump in his back yard that will serve as a pedestal.

Here's a shot while it was still in progress:
Bird Bath 1.JPG

This is pretty much the completed piece, ready to be glazed and sent to the kiln:
Bird Bath 2 1024.jpg

He still had a good-sized chunk of clay left over and since the ceramic shop charges by the kiln load, not by the piece, he decided to whip up a flower pot and saucer for his greenhouse:
Flower Pot 1024.jpg

He also made one or two shallow bonsai pots, but didn't have any pics handy. I'm looking forward to seeing how these pieces come out after being glazed and fired. :thumb:

Did he model the wood spirit in the bird bath after you Vaughn? Could be the spitting image, huh?
I hadn't noticed but I think you might be onto something there, Mike. He really does have stunning good looks, right? :rofl:
Definitely looking forward to seeing them fired. Firing seems like the highest risk part of the process.
I agree on both counts. Having something like that blow up in the kiln is along the same lines of having a beautifully figured piece of wood blow up on the lathe as you're making that one last cut. You're almost done and...BAM! I guess if he ends up needing grief counseling I can offer him some from a "been there, done that" point of view, lol.