Bevel Sled Rebuild

glenn bradley

This is a rambling tale so feel free to skip ahead. I got lazy and left the HVAC weep drain termination point (small outdoor French drain) stay on the "To-Do" list too long. Result? Weeds grew around the end of the pipe, dirt collected around the weeds courtesy of the wind and the end of the pipe got buried. The drain tube filled up and the inside unit dripped inside . . . right on the bevel sled that was hanging from the cleat peg rack. I knew I shouldn't have run cleats under the unit but I wanted the space :sneaky: . Fixed/finished the drain but the sled was trashed.

I needed a bevel sled the other day and I am still waiting for finish to cure on a current project. Our bout of weird weather really altered my usual finishing protocol timeline.

I told you it would be a rambling tale . . .

Be that as it may; I dug an old small scale sled of dad's out of one of the outbuildings to see if I could recover it. With the current cost of BB ply I am more prone to up-cycle discarded items lately.

The sled was scaled for dad's old Zip Code saw so the runners and deck would need some love. Once I pulled the front and rear fences I was left with two panels that were just a smidge shy of what I wanted. I added some strips of ply and then glued everything up just like any other panel glue up.

Bevel Sled Rebuild (1).jpg
I epoxied strips of scrap into the kerfs in the dummy-block . . .
Bevel Sled Rebuild (2).jpg
. . . and the front fence.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (3).jpg
Dad's version did not have replaceable inserts. There was some discussion in another thread about making jigs do multiple jobs. Replaceable ZCI's in sleds lets this happen. I don't have room to store half a dozen one-trick-ponies. I use a router and a dado jig to cut the 3" wide recess for the ZCI.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (4).jpg
I then temporarily place the fence and layout the dado for the fence.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (5).jpg

Bevel Sled Rebuild (6).jpg
I have to cut a 90 degree position to allow me to use the 5-cut method to align the fence. I do this without the inserts in place.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (7).jpg
I found that the fence would not adjust enough to get me well aligned. I turned the 3/8" holes into 3/8" slots at the drill press. I use the original hole to line up the bit position and place the fence and a stop.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (8).jpg
The I slip a couple of 3/16" setup bars between the sled base and the fence to reposition the material.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (9).jpg
The result is a slightly overlapping set of holes. BTW, dad had t-track on his sled so I kept that.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (10).jpg
I chisel the holes into a slot. Now I have plenty of room to get things well aligned. Once I am happy with the fence position I install the inserts and make a 45 degree cut. 45 degree bevels will be the bulk of this sleds job. Other inserts can be swapped in and out for other angles.
I rip a piece of scrap ply to test the alignment at 45 degrees. I put on a couple of flip stops at random lengths, clamp down the scrap and cut my first bevel.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (11).jpg
I cut a couple of short pieces . . .
Bevel Sled Rebuild (12).jpg
. . . and a couple of long ones.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (13).jpg
Like so.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (14).jpg
OK, the miters are tight and consistent along all edges . .. success!
Bevel Sled Rebuild (15).jpg
When it is not in use it hangs from one of the new batch of cleat pegs (on a wall that does not have an indoor unit on it :rofl:).

Bevel Sled Rebuild (16).jpg

Forgot to show the dummy block; very important. I usually attach these with long screws from the opposite side of the fence. With the sled's intended use of bevel angles I didn't really have any good locations that avoided possible blade positions. I went with pocket screws from the back. I just made sure the screw positions were in locations that the blade could never get to.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (17).jpg
After drilling the pockets I place the block on a couple of business cards. This leaves just enough room to allow easy sliding of the inserts into the recess designed for them.
Bevel Sled Rebuild (18).jpg
I add the screws, pull out the business card spacers and it's all set. The fence, block and base will eventually get pretty chewed up due to different angles being used. The replaceable ZCI's always present a good backer helping to give me a clean cut.