Adding a DC Drop

glenn bradley

Not really a tour so move if required ;-)

My shop build included features to ease expansion and changes. I know we have a few people on here doing or re-doing shops. I cannot urge you enough to spend the little extra money and effort now to ease your actions later. Here I am at "later". I planned and built this drop for another bandsaw, a second router table, or a crosscut tablesaw. As it turns out the bandsaw wins. The drop as shown was already in place. I simply removed the plug and added the first 45 degree elbow for this short, although busy run.
2nd BS DC Drop (1).jpg
A shout out to the rolling work surfaces.
2nd BS DC Drop (2).jpg
After the 45 come a 6x6x4 wye. The 4" port will be gated to a length of hose. This hose will serve temporary tools that I can roll into the area and then return to their parking places. Most of the time the hose will be coiled in the space behind the bandsaw.
2nd BS DC Drop (3).jpg
I just have to say it again . . . love the rolling work surfaces. :D I use these StrongTie wall anchors for the duct hangers when a stud is not handy.
2nd BS DC Drop (4).jpg
For those of you in the process:
- Take lots of pictures.
- Take them sequentially.
- Name them clearly.

Having these pics of the anatomy of my walls gives me x-ray vision. It is nice to know exactly what is behind the area you are about to drill into.
2nd BS DC Drop (5).jpg
I double up on the duct hangers as this short section is the only place I can really anchor this conglomeration.
2nd BS DC Drop (6).jpg
I make a right turn out of a pair of 45 degree elbows and a short section of pipe to connect them. You only get one "first" chance to get this oriented correctly when you are adding screws. All joints will also be taped later.
2nd BS DC Drop (7).jpg
Here's a view of the completed segment.
2nd BS DC Drop (8).jpg
Here's another view.
2nd BS DC Drop (9).jpg
The gate will feed a short section of 6" hose that will build out to the bandsaw sort of like this one.
2nd BS DC Drop (10).jpg
Excuse the mess, I've been busy. :whistling:

Last edited: