Accu-Burr

glenn bradley

Lee Valley sent an email about a sale. I use the Beall Tilt Box and they had them for $28. I figured that was cheap insurance in case my years-old one ever goes out. Since I was spending a Christmas gift card I also picked up the Accu-Burr scraper burnisher.
I have a few old handles that I believe grandpa turned for his jewelry files. They are irregular enough to be obviously one-offed. I use different handles for those files now but still have a few of grandpa's around.
Scraper Burnisher (1).jpg
I plugged the holes with hardwood toothpicks and epoxy and re-drilled them.
Scraper Burnisher (2).jpg
There is a pretty good friction fit.
Scraper Burnisher (3).jpg
If required I will add a bit of adhesive. I'll report back after I have a chance to try this thing out. It is always a treat to have a bit of dad or grandpa around the shop.

OK, I took a scraper out of the rack and removed the current edges in the usual way.
Scraper Burnisher (4).jpg
I then used the Accu-Burr on one long side as per the instructions; sans pulling the edge out. I gave the freshly milled edge two passes with the 5 degree notch and then one pass with the 10 degree notch. The results were fine.
Scraper Burnisher (5).jpg
I pulled the edge out (which is my usual method) prior to doing the same 5 degree and 10 degree passes on the opposite long edge. My results were better.
Scraper Burnisher (6).jpg
YMMV. I am just posting to share my experience.

I’ve had it on my wish list for a while, but bought a few carbide rods a couple of years ago and make my own burnishers, which work great. It’s not difficult to gauge the angles, so just haven’t pulled the trigger. Do you think it’s an improvement over your normal method?

@Ted Calver - Typical of items like this if they are well thought out and manufactured . . . The result is about the same as my freehand burnishing method. The shaped rod just makes it a bit easier and more predictable. I never really worried if I was turning the burr at 9, 10, or 11 degrees, just wanted to be in the neighborhood. This item seems to make that part of the task a little more precise. Although the ability to lean one way or the other certainly exists.

Last edited:
Typical of items like this if they are well thought out and manufactured . . . The result is about the same as my freehand burnishing method. The shaped rod just makes it a bit easier and more predictable. I never really worried if I was turning the burr at 9, 10, or 11 degrees, just wanted to be in the neighborhood. This item seems to make that part of the task a little more precise. Although the ability to lean one way or the other certainly exists.
Your experience mirrors mine. It does make it easier. I would recommend it to anyone who has not already established the technique to freehand burnish their scrapers or wants to be more consistent in turning a burr angle. I will continue to use it.

Last edited: