A Special Rig Setup

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Last weekend I was asked to make a guest appearance at a friend's 40th wedding anniversary party. I sat in for one song with my old keyboardist's band to play Comfortably Numb, which was the first song the happy couple danced to 42 years ago. I was playing in that band 42 years ago, as was my old keyboardist. But this post isn't about Comfortably Numb, or me playing it.

The friend who was celebrating the anniversary is also a former bandmate (different band), and he's strictly an acoustic guitarist. He can count on one hand the number of times he's ever played a electric guitar. But for this event, he wanted to sit in with the band to play a Goo Goo Dolls song (Long Way Down) on an electric, and he asked if I could provide the guitar and the rig. It's a simple song that just needs a single amp tone. I set up an appropriate sound for the song and then set up my pedal board so that 5 out of the 6 footswitches brought that same sound. That way there was no risk of him accidentally hitting the wrong button. The upper left footswitch was for a 4 dB boost, just in case he wanted to be a bit louder. I also decided to have some fun with the footswitch labels. I should note that this friend strongly dislikes the blues, so I figured it was imperative to give him not only a "Blues" option, but "Greens" as well. 😁

FC-6 Setup for Mikey.jpg