Search results

1. Kyle Murphy

Visit to Tak Yoshino Fine woodworking

Today, I was introduced to Tak Yoshino who has his wood shop and the Fuji School of Fine woodworking. He is world acclaimed (I did not know) for his chair making. Type in TaK Yoshino on google and examples of his work will appear. He showed me his workshop. I just love the fresh clean smell of a...
  2. Kyle Murphy

Yew Have Got To Be Kidding Me...!

Guilty!! Wow! Stu, I just read this! I have the other piece of Yew almost on the lathe! Fortunately, I am a procrastinator. Wonder if my wife knew, she has been bugging me ( gentle persuasion?) to start turning. Please be careful. Talk to you soon!
  3. Kyle Murphy

A long absence

Again thank you. I learn more listening to your explanations and watching you work than you can ever imagine. Again, thank you.
  4. Kyle Murphy

A long absence

Here are the pictures hopefully right side up. Also, the Japanese Yew as delivered.
  5. Kyle Murphy

A long absence

The best!
  6. Kyle Murphy

A long absence

Hi Vaughn those are the traditional work shoes of Japanese construction workers etc. they have the big toe separate so the rice sandals can be worn. The shoes is mostly cotton with a flexible sole. That man is Miura san, the arborist. He is also in the picture up in the trees. No safety gear...
  7. Kyle Murphy

A long absence

Dear All, It has been almost four years since I last posted. However, I thought it would be good to update on my activities, or lack thereof. Through the introduction of Stu Ablett I joined family woodworking about ten years ago. I am a wanna be woodturner. With Stu’s able guidance I set up a...
  8. Kyle Murphy

AR Blue water pressure cleaner

Have not posted in quite a while. Lots of medical issues but I seem to be through it now. This may not be the correct forum. I have been planning to purchase a Karcher water pressure cleaner. Probably the #3 size.that seems to be the gold standard. So, I went to Costco to buy. Usually about...
  9. Kyle Murphy

UPdate and a question about dusk collection

I have not posted in well over a year and unfortunately have not focused on wood working as much as I would like. For the past month or two my woodshop and house up near Mt. Fuji has been under snow. We closed it up at the end of December and lucky we did. We received an inordinate amount of...
  10. Kyle Murphy

Left replaced

On Wednesday, May 1st, I had the operation to replace my left knee. I now have a matched set of Stryker knees. The surgery was very smooth and when they woke me up I was dreaming about laying on a beach in Italy (I guess). The next two days were nit good. japan is not famous for it's use of...
  11. Kyle Murphy

I hate box cutters

I have not been able to get up to our place at Mt. Fuji recently. So, today decided to come up for a short visit. I brought a used large "blue heata". Which I found in a recycle shop. Set it up in my very cold workshop and it started to work immediately. Very hot and not much smell either...
  12. Kyle Murphy

Information about The Villages in Florida

A friend of mine and his wife are going to retire to The Villages about an hour outside Daytona. Does anyone have experience with the community? I looked on line and they have an 8,000 sq ft woodworking facility. Cost is $155 to join and dues of $55 a year. Overall, looks great. Also, does...
  13. Kyle Murphy

Workshop Update #4

I have not posted any updates on my 'work in progress' for some time. The reasons are several. First, last October I had a total knee replacement of my right knee. Then I had other problems which required surgery. Nothing major unless something went wrong. Fortunately, so far so good. The...
  14. Kyle Murphy

A Little Humor (Tools Explained)

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it...
  15. Kyle Murphy

Bob Hope

Dear All, First, a Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays) to you all. May 2012 be a safe, healthy and prosperous year for us all. A friend sent this to me. I was outside DaNang in 1970 when he had a performance. Unfortunately, I did not get to attend. He was truly one of a kind. Please...
  16. Kyle Murphy

Going into Hospital Today

Dear Family, Although I have only been a member of this group less than a year and I have never posted any examples of my (future) work I truly enjoy reading the posts everyday. I have learned so much and not only about woodworking. Today, I face a challenge. I am going into hospital for a...
  17. Kyle Murphy

wood shop update part 3

Well, after spending most of the summer visiting doctors (vertigo and preparing for my upcoming knee replacement) my friend, Clyde, and I went up to Mt. Fuji Wednesday night in typhoon #3 rains to put in the first half of the flooring for my woodshop. It took us two days to put the flooring in...
  18. Kyle Murphy

Gardening for Breakfast

One of my relatives from Pochahantas County, West Virginia sent me this important video clip about planting. Enjoy. www.castanet.net/news/Offbeat/62971/Donut-seeds
  19. Kyle Murphy

Woodworking tools arrived part 2

Hopefully, here are the pictures. Once I finally learn how to do this I will send more. The pictures are of my team who helped get the tools into the "shop." Clyde, me, Joe, and Alan. Second are some pictures of the tools in the shop. You can see some of the shop in the background. The two...