Search results

1. Dan Gonzales

Boating On the Cheap

I found a 15' Gregor for $80, an Evinrude 25 hp for $150 and the trailer for $100. I know how to take care of the metal work but need some pointers on what to check out on the outboard. I'm a good shade tree mechanic, just don't know the particulars of outboards. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
  2. Dan Gonzales

Recycling a diamond saw blade into a draw knife.

A neat video showcasing some garage metal working skills and some lathe work. I sometimes need a small piece of high quality steel and this video has found a free source for me as I have a couple of friends who own masonry businesses. I'm going to hit them up for some used blades. Cheers,
  3. Dan Gonzales

A new old member

Been away for awhile. Life can take you away from things you like for awhile, but I'm back. Cheers to the familiars and now to catch-up with new members and old. Dan Gonzales Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  4. Dan Gonzales

Alternative use of jig and drill press

I was stripping line off some reels at my workench when this idea popped in my head. I dug out a scrap of 2" long 1x6 pine cutoff from the trash bin. Split it into a few pieces with a claw hammer. Nailed a 6 penny finish nail in about an inch. Made a 3/16" hole in my lockset jig. Chucked and...
  5. Dan Gonzales

Handheld Router Dust Control

This looks worthwhile. Fine Homebuilding: How to Make a Custom Dust Collector for Your Router Cheers,
  6. Dan Gonzales

Disappointing Delivery

I carry an old unknown Chinese/Taiwanese 8" 4-in-hand rasp and file in my tool bag. I never thought much about it until now that it's lost its bite. I ordered what I thought would be a spiffy replacement. A genuine 10" Nicholson product. Here's the image from the order page. Here's what...
  7. Dan Gonzales

How Bessey Tradesman Clamps Are Made

This video makes me happy. BESSEY Production of a malleable cast iron screw clamps - TG series
  8. Dan Gonzales

I'm not new, but might as well be...

Hello All, I'm not new, but might as well be... Good to see familiar names again. I've been occupied taking care of... life. Then it hit me, I need to start doing fun stuff again. Cheers to all. Dan G
  9. Dan Gonzales

Kid's Workbench with Vise

Hello All, Last week we had my son's Cub Scout den over to build their pinewood derby cars. It gave the kick in the pants I needed to build three of these benches. I had originally bought the vises on clearance for $9 each, I would use a larger vice with a dog if I were to build more...
  10. Dan Gonzales

A Seasonal Message

I would like to share an experience with you all, about drinking and driving. As you well know, some of us have been known to have had brushes with the authorities on our way home from the odd social session over the years. A couple of nights ago, I was out for a few drinks with some friends...
  11. Dan Gonzales

A Different Christmas

A man calls his son two days before Christmas and says, "I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; thirty-five years of misery is enough." "Dad, what are you talking about?" the son screams. "We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," the...
  12. Dan Gonzales

How Hand Stitched Rasps are Made

Here's a neat video showing how Liogier makes hand stitched rasps. It's the lower frame and has English titles. http://www.liogier-france.fr/what-is-a-hand-stitched-rasp-riffler?lang=en#video Cheers,
  13. Dan Gonzales

A harmonograph, not a spirograph

A harmonograph, not a spirograph. Turn the volume up a little so you can hear the pen on paper and movement sounds. http://vimeo.com/21999779">Drawingmachine by Eske Rex</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1762260">Core77</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  14. Dan Gonzales

Keep teaching your kids what is good and just

This is a couple of years old but a friend shared it with me and I am pushing it on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttkBP2XDZvE Cheers,
  15. Dan Gonzales

DeWALT Impact Driver Kit compact 12v Li-Ion NIB ***SOLD

I was doing some horsetrading for an 18v circular saw and vehicle charger and I ended up with an extra one of these. DeWalt Impact Driver Kit DCF815S2- New In Box * Compact, lightweight design fits into tight areas * 3 LED Lights provide visibility without shadows * One-handed loading 1/4" hex...
  16. Dan Gonzales

Mini-van humor

My wife's been out of the country for the last 10 days and I have been driving our Toyota Sienna more than usual. A friend sent me this link to influence my perspective. Toyota Swagger Wagon Kidding aside we are very satisfied with the ride, capabilities, mileage and ALL THE SPACE our Swagger...
  17. Dan Gonzales

Gloat - Dewalt 12V Max

I came across a Dewalt promo on the 30th of January with one day to spare. Buy one of the new Dewalt 12V Max cordless tool kits and get a free battery at AcmeTools.com. Years ago they were Tool Crib of the North then they sold that online business to Amazon, now they're back online. I really...
  18. Dan Gonzales

Where did the FWW logo go?

Or is there something wrong with my browser? (update: doesn't appear with Firefox or IE) Just asking. :D Cheers,
  19. Dan Gonzales

A career shift

Hello Family Woodworkers, Well I have given up finding a job in my IT profession that lets me spend a reasonable amount of time with my family. I have officially started my own business, a glorified handyman service. I have worked in the Data Processing → Information Services → Information...
  20. Dan Gonzales

Dominic Greco and his Lee Valley article

A link in a Lee Valley email features our own Dominic Greco's article on his Shop-Built Saw Vise. Dominic's Article Way to go Dominic! *