Search results

1. Bill Lantry

I'm not a Yankees fan...

... But this is a pretty good idea for a pitcher's retirement gift. Mariano Rivera's farewell tour: Never seen a rocking chair made quite like that before... Thanks, Bill
  2. Bill Lantry

Wow! That's one hot saw!

Hey, folks, High on my list of dislikes is using the tablesaw in the middle of winter, when the metal's really cold. Never considered the other side, though. This pic was taken yesterday in Arizona: More from the same shop here: http://imgur.com/a/tFNnn Dang! Thanks, Bill
  3. Bill Lantry

Neverwet

Hey, folks, I've never actually seen this stuff, but I wonder if it has any applications in the shop? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57590077-1/spill-a-lot-neverwets-ready-to-coat-your-gear/ Thanks, Bill
  4. Bill Lantry

Silly Question: rewiring the basement.

Hey, folks, We're finally getting around to it: the basement fireplace room. The space is about 16 x 24. Eight weeks ago, Doorlink moved a box down there. This simple act led to all new shelves in the storage hallway, a completely revamped furnace/storage room, an extremely large county large...
  5. Bill Lantry

Shop Reconfiguration

Hey, folks, You may remember I've just inherited a bunch of sweet tools from an old friend. But every silver lining has a cloud, and here's mine: the shop's too small. So I looked around and tried to figure out what to do. Biggest things first, right? Well, the biggest thing in my shop is my...
  6. Bill Lantry

Dale Nish 1932-2013

Hey, folks, Just heard that Dale Nish, celebrated woodturner, passed away a few days ago. He was best known for his vessels turned from wormy ash: More examples here. Thanks, Bill
  7. Bill Lantry

It's been a long road...

Hey, folks, Just sharing a bit of good news: #3 son had his graduation today. Here's a pic of the podium: Yes, that's the Basilica in the background. And here's Julian, the young grad himself on the left, with a couple of his brothers, and Doorlink: In any case, I'm very proud of the...
  8. Bill Lantry

Street legal plane runs on regular, requires bald pilot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7YuXQ8jFM28#start=0:00;end=6:50;autoreplay=false;showoptions=false The next version will do VTOL: you could fly it out of your driveway. Complete autopilot, and automated parking/landing...
  9. Bill Lantry

Never make bets with welders!

So there was this guy, who happened to be a welder, who made a friendly bet. The wager was a bottle of liquor. The guy lost, but he wasn't very happy about it. Still, he was a man of his word, so he delivered: Thanks, Bill
  10. Bill Lantry

Reconstructing the pew

Hey, folks, After a week away from the shop, I'm finally back at it. Before I flew off, I had to rapidly move the pew into the shop, and of course it came apart in my hands. Now I need to put it back together, and I have some questions. Someone, and I ain't naming names, really went to town on...
  11. Bill Lantry

Remind me not to take up woodcarving...

. So there's this guy, his name is Ian Brennan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Brennan He got hold of a piece of the HMS Victory: And spent 5000 hours, over 17 years, carving this: Think about it: that's two and a half years of full time work. I'll never have that kind of patience...
  12. Bill Lantry

Shop reconfiguration

Hey, folks, Someone said "there's no sliver lining without a cloud," and that's turning out to be true. My shop is 12x24 feet, and it's getting awfully crowded in there. Looks like I've got some decision points in front of me. Do I really need *two* 6 inch jointers? Of course not. Which to...
  13. Bill Lantry

Yesterday's Treasures

Hey, folks, So I made another trip to Craig's shop yesterday. Took many hours, but when I got back I had a full pickup load again... I'll start with the small stuff... Here's a brand new (to me!) router plane. I'm guessing it's a few decades old. Never been used, or even put together: And...
  14. Bill Lantry

Refinishing old oak?

Hey, folks, One of the things I got from Craig was an old pew. I wasn't going to take it, but Doorlink loved it. It came from an old Augustinian chapel in downtown DC, and it had been sitting on Craig's enclosed porch for about 20 years. When he got it (the chapel was being torn down), he just...
  15. Bill Lantry

Good Fortune and Misfortune

Hey, folks, First, the misfortune: my oldest friend, with whom I worked daily for years, is retiring and heading for the coast. Dang. Now, the good fortune: he's not taking his tools. In fact, he's leaving them to me! Hurrah! Some of it's old iron: a planer that has to be seen to be...
  16. Bill Lantry

I hate small engines!

OK, so, long story short: The Derecho knocked out our power friday night. Saturday morning, I went down to start up the generator. I think the gas had sat in it too long. In any case, it didn't start. Took off the air cleaner: nothing. Put in a brand new spark plug, didn't help. Drained the bad...
  17. Bill Lantry

It's been a long, strange road

Hey, folks, If you've been following along on facebook, you know it's been a twisted, hilly road. And yet, this evening I was able to take this picture: Doorlink, with the new book in hand: Thanks, Bill
  18. Bill Lantry

Whirlwind for table saws

Hey, folks, Just heard a story about this on the radio. It's designed to retrofit onto old saws, including my Ridgid. Stops the blade, but doesn't harm the blade. You can get back to work immediately. No indication yet on price. http://www.whirlwindtool.com/ Thanks, Bill
  19. Bill Lantry

just testing

hey folks, I'm just testing DragonDictate for site purposes. I'm trying to see if this software works with DragonDictate, although I haven't figured out yet how to navigate anything from link to link. New sentence. Looks it just type the command that I gave it because I don't know the software...
  20. Bill Lantry

Colbert weighs in

Hey, folks, If you don't find Stephen Colbert funny, you probably shouldn't click this link. On the other hand, if you do... http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/408216/february-13-2012/people-who-are-destroying-america---sawstop Nothing really new here, but at least the...