Search results

1. J

Acoustic Guitar Neck Joint Fixture

In this episode we begin the process of building a neck joint fixture for guitars. It will also serve well as a tool for doing the heel graft inlay as well. First steps are to cut up all the parts and assemble the base. Thanks for watching!
  2. J

Guitar Side Bending Machine

Taking a quick break from the Martin 00 project to build a bending machine very similar to the Fox Bender out there. Bending guitar sides is made much easier with a machine like this so I figured it'd be worth documenting my build. The only real outlay is on a heating blanket system - i got mine...
  3. J

Time for my next project... :D

Wonder what it could be... :huh::huh::huh::huh:
  4. J

Branding Iron Step-by-step

This video takes you through the entire process I used for creating my first branding iron. I did a couple test cuts in Aluminum, which you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76uqVH17MRQ This time I walk through the entire process from CAD for drawing out the design I want...
  5. J

Cherry Sliding Door

Hopefully a rather short project since I'm really itching to start on my next guitar. We remodeled our back room in the house and really need to close off the kitchen from it once in a while. This project is a pocket door made of cherry that will kind of be an exercise in frugality to some...
  6. J

In the Shop - Salt Shaker & Pepper Grinder

Time for something a little different. My wife wanted a couple pepper grinders and salt shakers. This was my first time making these projects but it was really straightforward. I don't turn much these days, but I think they came out looking pretty good, if i do say so myself. Thanks for watching!
  7. J

My first attempt at "art" - a Table

For those who haven't been watching the build thread, I thought I'd post a few pictures of the final piece... I built this table to try and explore my artistic side a little. I'm happy with the workmanship ... the execution is pretty faithful to what i had in my mind. It isn't my personal...
  8. J

Spec Table

For the next project, I decided to try something i've never done before: Attempt to make a piece purely for the artistic angle. I helped start a local furniture making guild a few years ago and we're doing our first Gallery show in the spring. I didn't have anything to put in there so i...
  9. J

First Branding Iron Tests

This video documents my first try at creating a custom branding iron. For my first try, I'm starting in aluminum because it's cheap but when I perfect the process, I'll begin making them in brass. All in all, this process was a pretty good success!
  10. J

Finally Completing My First Guitar

I built this guitar back in 2010 and once the strings went on, I never got around to actually finishing the final pieces. The truss rod access cover plate was made up at the time i built it but never mounted so i try a few ways of getting it fastened. Another problem was that the finish got...
  11. J

Guitar Setup Neck Cradles

Back to some guitar related stuff!! This week I build a couple neck cradles for doing setups and such. This was a sorely lacking feature of my shop that became clear to me when i got near the end of the 335 build. Using a technique for cutting coves on the table saw and a little bandsaw...
  12. J

V-Inlays in VCarve

Yep, i have. It works awesomely (when you remember to reverse your inlaid part!). The process as described in the tutorials works great. The weird mathy stuff they do is to ensure that the inlaid piece doesn't bottom out in the V carving - this will ensure snug contact all around the top...
  13. J

Highly Adjustable File & Chisel Storage

At long last, a solution to a shop problem I've had for almost a decade. My chisel and file collection has grown but my storage solution for them has been nonexistent. It's time to fix that! We start out by figuring out just what arrangement will work and what I need to build for that. Then...
  14. J

How-To: The Router Bit Organizer in vCarve

Awesome tutorial, Darren! It'll translate to vcarve and aspire for sure - Not sure how much cut2d can do, but possibly there, too. Nicely done. The linear array tool is exactly the tool I used, too, for my grid. Only oddity for mine was that each row of holes was offset by an arbitrary amount...
  15. J

Eric Clapton's 1964 ES-335 Tribute Guitar - Final Soundcheck

At long last, I finally got setup for some good sound recordings through my nice amp (VOX AC15C) and with a good mic (SHUR SM57). Sadly, you're stuck with my non-awesome playing since I don't really know many local musicians. I think the sound is pretty faithful to reality, though. It came...
  16. J

Shot Glass Display Shelf

This is just a quick little project I threw together in about a day while I was waiting for lacquer to cure. It's a simple shot glass shelf for my father in law. The wood is birch and it has two shelves that will hold the tall glasses and two shelves that will hold the shorter ones. I...
  17. J

A very special project to me - may I?

A little sneak peek ... very pleased :D
  18. J

gack!!! still more problems with photovcarve

So i was able to open this in mach3 - it previews beautifully. I think the gcode is perfectly fine. Dan, does your controller software offer a preview? I'm curious to see if it's just confused by something and would show it in a preview or if there is something going on in the sending of the...
  19. J

Not quite done, no. The list is short enough that it doesn't make me dizzy anymore, though! :D The neck got glued on two weekends ago - then I took a trip to chicago for a little blues pilgrimage -- when who would you guess shows up? Why ... this guy: There was such an incredible sequence...
  20. J

Thank you, Ken! I do appreciate the occasional post letting me know folks are still watchin :) Some of you have seen the sneak preview but I figure there's no harm in posting a few teasers for what's coming soon...