Search results

1. Uys van Rooyen

Router bit advice

I am working on a Bubinga table with a 2" top. Busy joining the top now for width. The top is 2.8m long, and because I couldn't get planks that long I have to join them in the lengthn as well. So I start with two planks in length and two in width, glue them with Festo dominos and let it dry...
  2. Uys van Rooyen

Botswana holiday - Easter 2009

For those of you that are interested - here is my trip report of my recent holiday in Botswana's national parks. This is an awesome area that must be seen by every outdoor lover. Frank: I did this one with my "normal" 4x4 again! :D:D...
  3. Uys van Rooyen

Belt sanding with/without dust extraction.

For the past two weeks I've been sanding three large flat pieces on and off. Last week the drive belt on my Hitachi belt sander broke and when I opened it I saw that it actually melted into the pulley. It took some time to clean all the stuff out of there, and after fitting the new belt I...
  4. Uys van Rooyen

Poly Urethane over Danish oil

I just finished Rosewood table to use in my Lapa, and fininshed it with Danish oil. I do however think that I did not hand sand it enough because it has dull spots where most of the top is fairly shiny. In the mean time I figured that a Poly Urethane finish would have provided more protection...
  5. Uys van Rooyen

My Namibia December holiday.

Hi all. I tried to post it here, but the pictures doesn't come along, but here is a copy of my trip report after touring Namibia over the December holdidays. http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?p=252449#post252449 I know this is a wood work forum , but I have to share this...
  6. Uys van Rooyen

Poker Box

Poker box finished And the final product. Finished just in time - the wedding is this afternoon. It is an outside wedding, and it is pouring down as we speak .......:eek:
  7. Uys van Rooyen

Poker Box

A little Wooden box I am working on. Friends is getting married on Saterday, and this is their gift. I'm putting a poker set inside. Uys
  8. Uys van Rooyen

Ideal Workbench

Hi all. Please share your experiences with work benches with me. I have one which my dad build from my bed when I was 4 and he made me a new, super cool bed. The problem is that it is not very sturdy, and I've been wanting a new one ever since I started doing woodwork. So, somewhere between...
  9. Uys van Rooyen

How to get Danish oil smooth

I am working on finishing the doors for my TV Cabinet, but I cannot seem to get it smooth. I applied a thick layer of Danish oil, and let is dry for about 30 minutes. Then I applied another layer, and left if for 5 days now (mistake?) Then, last night, I sanded it with very fine steel wool...
  10. Uys van Rooyen

How I square ends up

Not having a decent table saw I always used by electrical hand saw with a straight edge clamped sqaure to cut the ends of boards sqaure. It is a lot of effort to move the straight edge, and to get it square:(. So I got this idea for boards up to 180mm (7") wide. I took the giude plate and...
  11. Uys van Rooyen

Dovetail bit needed

Hi guys. I am looking for a dovetail bit for this jig. It is a 14.3mm bit on a 1/4" shank. I can get it with a 1/2" shank, but then it doesn't fit the guide bush. Can anybody help me please. Uys
  12. Uys van Rooyen

Hammer C3 31 Perform questions

Hi Guys. Im in the market for a table saw, my Radial arm is old, and scaring me, so I'm not using it. I also need a planer and a spindle, which led me to the Hammer C3 31 Perform. I am also liking the size of the combo as I use my garage as as workshop and need to put everything away at...
  13. Uys van Rooyen

Noob from South Africa

Hi Stuart. I'm still fairly new in woodworking, so my double garage doubles as my workshop. I'll take some pics and post it. Below is some recent stuff I did. The little box is a test for a box that I am working on now to give to friends as a wedding gift. Yes, I know the catch is upside...
  14. Uys van Rooyen

Noob from South Africa

Hi everybody. I am a new member, just joined this morning. I stay in Pretoria, South Africa. I am a Mechanical engineer at a company that design and manufacture Electrodes for the Ferrochrome industry. I enjoy woodwork as a hobby and try to get into my garage every night after work. Most...