Search results

1. Keith Palmer

Been away too Long. Paperclip Holder Done!

It has been way too long since I got to do some turning! I haven’t been around much lately, but did work on one small project on the new lathe. Along with using the new lathe, I had been wanting to try out my new small hollowing tool. I grabbed a piece of leftover peppermill scrap and chucked it...
  2. Keith Palmer

Salt Shaker: Recycled Water bottle

I was asked a while back to turn a salt shaker for a friend to match a peppermill he already had. He gave me a blank to turn the shaker out of, it was an experimental Baseball Bat from Weyerhaeuser. I traced and measured diameters and gave him the mill back. Finally 6 months later I got...
  3. Keith Palmer

First Bowl off Mustard Monster

Here is the first bowl I turned on the new PM 3520. It is Maple burl about 5 inches by 2.5 inches and wall thickness of 3/16". I finished it with 3 coats of Tung oil then Beall buffed it. When I brought it in to show LOML she said don't you have something bigger to turn you bought that lathe...
  4. Keith Palmer

Christmas Bottlestoppers

A co-worker asked me to turn some bottle stoppers for Christmas, so this is what I turned while waiting for the lacquer to cure on some peppermills. From left to right: Curly Western Maple, Spalted Sweet Gum, Purpleheart/Maple/Veneer, Sweet Gum, Cocobolo, Spalted Sweet Gum, and Koa. They are...
  5. Keith Palmer

Christmas Peppermills

It has been a busy couple of months. I haven't had time to play with the pictures I took of the Christmas items I made until now. Here are 2 peppermills I made for my sister-in-laws. I wanted to do a different shape than the one I had been making so I went with this shape. Kind of plain (I know...
  6. Keith Palmer

Finally got to Play with the new Mustard!

I haven't been home since I put it all together on Tuesday (12/15), until last night (12/18). I finally got to have some fun. I made a good mess turning a NE apple bowl (man it smells good while turning!). But apparrently it was getting too late and I was getting tired. I didn't pay attention...
  7. Keith Palmer

It's here!!!!! New PM3520

I forgot to post this over here. I took advantage of the WMH Black Friday sale to make the big plunge and upgrade from my 1949 Shopsmith to the Mustard Monster. It arrived on Tuesday Dec. 15.... Well I left work for a couple hours to take delivery of the lathe.:D:D:D Then had to head back to...
  8. Keith Palmer

Caught by the Mustard Monster bug!!

Well, I have found that I truly got sucked into this vortex. I just ordered the monster with 18" extension kit from Sean at Toolnut. I have been reading alot of the posts over the last few weeks of which lathe to buy and found that this will best replace my 1949 shopsmith for turning. The...
  9. Keith Palmer

Finished First NE bowl "Sacrifice", and award gloat

Last winter my brother and his wife decided to add on to their house, but there was an apple tree that had to come down. I told him I would help him cut it and take the wood to turn. I roughed out several pieces last December and this is the first one I finished. I am going to give it to my...
  10. Keith Palmer

Finally finished pepper/salt mill set

I was commissioned in May by a coworker to turn a set of mills for her to give to her dad for his birthday. Thankfully she decided to wait until he came out here to visit for Thanksgiving to give them to him. The summer became very busy with regular home maintenance work and enjoying the kids...
  11. Keith Palmer

Entered A photo contest with Peppermill

I entered a photo contest on Facebook.com with my latest peppermill. Voting started yesterday through July 14th. So, if you are on facebook please become a fan of Cabinet Maker's Supply and vote for my peppermill by typing "vote" somewhere in your comment. Greatly appreciate your votes!!!!:D:D:D
  12. Keith Palmer

Just finished another Peppermill

Jen, a coworker of mine, shares my love of beautifully turned wood pieces. She even found out when there were some pieces in a gallery nearby and took me to see them. She has been very supportive of the pieces I have been turning over the past year. She really loved the peppermills I made for my...
  13. Keith Palmer

Todays roughouts, first attempt at NE bowl.

I gave my first try at some NE bowls today. I rough turned 3 bowls this afternoon from some spalted unknown wood. (I am waiting for the results from the microscopy lab at work to tell me what it is) We had some beautiful weather this afternoon, so I moved the Shopsmith outside to turn in some...
  14. Keith Palmer

Dremel 1672 Scroll saw, good deal??

A coworker just told me about a Dremel 1672 16" 2 speed scroll saw for sale new in the box for $100. Is this a good deal? Is it a good saw? Just setting up my shop with some new equipment just this week and trying to decide if this would be a good addition. Thanks, Keith
  15. Keith Palmer

Mini-Max S45 Bandsaw what's it worth??

I just found about a Mini-max S45 18" bandsaw for sale. He says is was bought about 8 years ago in 2000. He won't give me a price and wants me to make an offer. What is it worth?? Thanks Keith
  16. Keith Palmer

Finally got back to the Lathe! First Platters

Well after my mom got the peppermill for christmas she requested a platter or two. I finally got to the lathe last week and turned a practice one from poplar. Good thing I made a practice one just as I was touching up the bottom I thought to myself that the nub was getting awfully small, and...
  17. Keith Palmer

80's Powermatic tools, What are they worth??

A coworker's father-in-law is selling his woodworking equipment, he doesn't know how much he wants for the pieces. Here is a pic of the Powermatic 66. He also has PM100 planer, PM1150A variable speed drill press, a PM60 8" jointer, and a Green PM 6"x48" belt 12" disc sander combo. My dad is...
  18. Keith Palmer

What kind of chisel is this and what is it used for??

A friend of a friend found this in his dad's shop and new that I am a woodworker so he gave it to me. It says "Swiss Made" on the handle and "5<--<-<-" on the blade. The blade width is 2 3/8" (60mm) and has a shallow curve to it. What kind of chisel is it and what is it used for?? I can...
  19. Keith Palmer

Pricing for a newbie?

I have not even attempted to sell any of the few things I have made on the lathe, but a co-worker has asked me to make her a salt/pepper mill set similar the ones I made for my mom and mil I had copied the design from a mill at www.peppermillguy.com that sold for $195. I was considering $200...
  20. Keith Palmer

Craft Supplies Gift Certificate redemption????

I have a couple of gift certs for Craft Supplies, but can't figure out how to redeam them online. Anyone know how??