Search results

1. J

Norfolk Island Pine

Fellow memebers, Does anyone have a different method of finishing off a NIP bowl. I used the Danish Oil/Poly mix, did the multiple soaks with sanding in between soaks. I belong to the Honolulu Wood Turners and a method some use is to yput a couple coats of mineral oil, let dry and then use two...
  2. J

AstroDot SandPaper

Does anyone have a viable supplier of Astrodat Sandpaper in the United States?:huh:
  3. J

Sears Grinder/Wolverine jig

I am in the process of buying a Sears 6" variable speed grinder. The base of the grinder measures approximately 10 3/4". Has anyone run into problems mounting the jig mounts under the wheels with the base that wide, per instuctions from One-Way.
  4. J

Nova Comet mini lathe

Does anyone have knowledge of a supply house for parts for the Nova Comet. Or does anyone know of a banjo tool rest that will fit the bedways? What about an owners manual or part list?:huh:
  5. J

Grinder & Wolverine System

The Wolverine System instructions pertain to a 8" grinding wheel. Can this be configured to using a 6" wheel variable speed grinder? What would the change in measurements require? :huh:
  6. J

Sharpenig a bedan

How would you sharpen a Bedan tool on a grinder? The bevel only and the two sides, or just the bevel.
  7. J

Vacuum Chuck

:) After months of planning and researching, finally got my vacuum chuck completed. With help from Richard Schlumpf and members the Honolulu Wood Turners it's done and works great. In fact it sucked the bottom out of a bowl I used to test the vacuum. Forgot to adjust the bleed valve. Got some...
  8. J

Hot melt Glue

:huh: Has anyone have positive comments on the use of Hot melt glue for face plate turning. Does it have the holding ability? Here's a video of using the hot melt glue....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuTszwzZ5Qw. :dunno:
  9. J

Amazon.com

:huh:Just looking for feedback on the Amazon .com. Has anyone purchased large items like a lathe, power tools etc.. Is there any guarantee with them or just the manufacturer? seems like you can buy power tools at a discounted price (+) free shipping in some cases............Any comments to their...
  10. J

Vacuum Chucking

Has anyone have any input or used this Vacuum pump or used it for reverse chucking.? It's on sale at Harbor Freight, not much off but better than none at all. It's a US General 2.5 vacuum Pump.Your comments greatly appreciated.: -
  11. J

Renaissance Waz

:huh:After buffing with Tripoli and White Diamond, can Renaissance wax be applied instead of using Carnuba wax? Seems the Renaissance has a better finish and easier to apply.:huh:
  12. J

Holdfast Vacuum Su=ystem

:huh:Anyone using the Holdfast Vacuum system that Craft Supplies sells. What your comments on it. What type of compressor is needed also. Does the compressor have to continuously be running to maintain pressure to generate vaccum with the generator?:huh:
  13. J

Grinding wheels

:huh:With all the differnt sharpening jigs, majority make referecne to an 8" wheel to get the 7"from face and 4" down from center( Ellsworth theory). What about having only 6" wheels, would the infor for setting up hold true also? Can your opinions be defined?
  14. J

Sorby Tear drop scraper

:huh: How is this scraper sharpened. Up till now, I have used a diamond offset mini hones to sharpen the top of the scraper. Looking at the round scraper that the Multi tool hollower from Sorby comes with , the sides are sharpened to a slight angle. Should'nt the Tear drop be sharpened with a...
  15. J

Super Nova 2 and Cole Jaws

:huh: Whats the maximum diameter this pair opens too. I have a Jet 1220 and was wondering if when fully extended would the Cole jaws clear the bed ? I have the chuck but would like the jaws also. I like to turn bowls with an outside diameter of 9 1/2"-10", maybe that's pushing the 1220, but its...
  16. J

Ryobi TR45K Laminate trimmer

:huh:Can you use a Brass Router inlay on the Ryobi trimmer?:dunno:
  17. J

Citharexylum spinosum-Fiddle wood

:huh: Has anyone have any experiences with,Citharexylum spinosum-Fiddle wood?:dunno:
  18. J

Power carving chuck stand

:o Some one devised a way to make an adapter out of a 1"x 8TPI bolt and used it on a lathe for power carving, Does anyone recall the thread?:huh:
  19. J

Results of Steel Snake

These are 2 of the turnings using the Steel Snake. The Milo was finished with Tung Oil and Beal buffed, The Kou Haole was finished with Danish oil, Wipe on Poly and buffed. Sorry about the flash.
  20. J

Captive Hollowing rigs

:rolleyes: For those that have made there own Steel snake or similar rigs, what type of cutter bars works best? Is the straight bar much more versitile than the Swan neck type. Your comments and experiences would help when I fabricate my 5/8" shaft bars. Currently I'm using 1/2" bars,straight...