Search results

1. K

Can a single dovetail bit make sliding dovetails

I am interested in making some drawer slides using sliding dovetails. I guess I have two questions. Is it possible to make these without a dovetail jig? And do I need just one dovetail bit to make both the pins and the tails? Ok, I told a fib. I actually have three questions. What angle dovetail...
  2. K

So how do I do this?

I have a hall closet that is really only a half closet since the bottom of it is taken up by the stairs to the basement. I would like to use the space for storing appliances, as a pantry and for storing assorted pots and pans. My plan is to build an appliance garage with a full length pull out...
  3. K

What is the best way to accomplish this #2.

Since I had such a great response to my last question I thought I'd roll the dice and try another one. The faces are painted on these rocking horses and one of the most difficult parts is painting the mane. The mane follows the shape of the head but is not always the same distance from the edge...
  4. K

What is the best way to accomplish this?

I am building some rocking horses for a couple of the neighbors kids. One of the parts is a wedge that is used to attach the legs to the body at a 12 degree angle. The wedges are 5 inches long, 3 inches wide and vary in thickness from 3/4 at the thick end to 1/8 inch at the thin end. My shop is...
  5. K

Difference betweek MDF and Particle Board

I was in the local Borg today looking for some MDF for a radial arm saw table. The only thing I could find was something called particle board. Is this the same thing? Surely the Borgs should have MDF.
  6. K

Panel Saw For Sale - SE Michigan

I have a Panel Pro - Vertical Panel Saw for sale. I bought it a year ago for breaking down panels for some cabinets. It doesn't look like I will be making any more cabinets for a while so I am interested in selling it. The cost of the saw is $500.00. I will deliver the saw at no cost if the...
  7. K

Attaching False Drawer Fronts

I am making a 7 drawer dresser and am stumped about how to attach the false drawer fronts to the drawers and get them on straight. My thought was to use some double sided tape to get them positioned correctly and to screw through the front of the drawer and just into the false front. Then remove...
  8. K

Replacing and finishing pine doors

I am in the middle of a project to replace all of the interior doors in my house with 6 panel pine doors. My plan is to stain the doors prior to installing them. My question is after staining should I leave the doors with just the stain on them or should I put some sort of protective coating on...
  9. K

Routing an Ellipse

I have a jig for routing an ellipse but I am wondering what kind of bit to use. Do I use just a straight bit or should I get a spiral bit? Any suggestions?
  10. K

Porter Cable 890 Router Collets

I purchased a new router and none of my 1/4" router bits will fit in the 1/4" collet. Has anyone else had this problem? I have ordered a new 1/4" collet and a new 3/8" collet to see if there is any difference.
  11. K

Ideas for bench lifter

Not sure if this is the right section to put this in but I need to be able to move my very heavy work bench around my shop. I could put locking casters on it but I prefer to have a good solid base when I am working on it. My idea is to use some sort of jack screw that would be mounted to the...
  12. K

Sketch Up Question - Groove in Table Top

I am relatively new to Sketch Up and I am teaching myself the program by designing some end tables and coffee tables. I would like to add some details to the table tops. I would like to add a v-groove approximately two inches in from all four edges. I have been able to draw a straight bottomed...
  13. K

Suggestions needed.

I need to replace some 4" x 4" posts on a porch. The posts I am replacing have a detail that I don't know how to produce. On each edge where the sides meet there is a stopped flute running from 2 inches from the bottom of the post to two inches from the top. It is centered right on the edge. Any...
  14. K

Plans for a club chair

Has anyone ever seen any plans for a club chair? I would like to build one for my house if I can find a plan. Thanks in advance.
  15. K

Hi all.

I was directed to this forum by a certain moderator that has a species of tree as part of his name. Im looking forward to learning from others experiences. I have a 24 x 24 pole barn that I am converting into a wood shop this spring. I completed my first project this past summer which was a...