Search results

1. Kevin Vernon

Finger jointed decorative cedar box

Here's that man again, Still sitting on a rapidly shrinking pile of salvaged cedar boards, constantly trying to think of things to make with the stuff. A finger-jointed decorative box, 14x8x8 inches, with a glued-up scrap/quilt lid panel. Cedar planed to 5/8" thick, 1/4" finger joints cut...
  2. Kevin Vernon

Small Keepsake Box, Christmas present.

Howdy, sawdust creators! Christmas present finished, ready to ship to its destination. The Latest Woodsmith Magazine, issue 216, had in it a small curved fingerjointed keepsake box, that I was inspired to make as a present, for an important person I tend to make things for. The body of the...
  3. Kevin Vernon

Rings.

Not truly turnings.....done without a lathe. I made the blanks, then stuffed them on an expanding sanding spindle & chucked them into my drill press. All the shaping & finishing work was done with files & sandpaper. Many Rings! :) Walnut: Walnut & Aspen Sandwich, with colored pencil...
  4. Kevin Vernon

Ring Box

A small Ring Box I made as a Birthday present for a dear friend. Bottom shell = Walnut. Top shell = Sycamore. Note to self - next one, apply the banding BEFORE cutting the box sides, so the corners of the banding line up properly when mitered. Thanks for looking, -Kevin in Indy
  5. Kevin Vernon

Updated Shop Tour: Things have changed.

Willkommen, Amigos! In the past, I have posted various "Shop Tour" threads. As a preface, allow me to link to them here. http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?7449-Tour-Time!-(Inline-pics-dialups-take-note)...
  6. Kevin Vernon

Finishing......Cedar?

Hi, gang. Got a bit of a project I'm working on....a kitchen-counter sized storage box, couple of drawers, angled top, to prop up a cookbook/printed sheets of recipes/tablet. The whole thing is made from cedar.....salvaged cedar that cost me precisely zero. I was just wondering....since one...
  7. Kevin Vernon

CheeseBoard, from scrap on hand.

Christmas present done, made for the "Family Free-for-all" gift exchange, so no idea who will end up with it. A simple cheeseboard, knocked together from scrap bits I had on hand (There's virtue in saving those little off-cuts - no matter how insignificant they seem) Strips & stripes...
  8. Kevin Vernon

Benchtop Tool Cabinet

A simple cabinet of drawers to sit on a benchtop (exactly where, I have yet to determine). Plywood & Sycamore. Drawer bottoms/slides from 1/4" ply, drawer fronts sourced from miscellaneous scrap bits lying around the shop. There are more photos posted to both my Flickr page...
  9. Kevin Vernon

Recycling Project

Some time back, I spotted this little shelf at a garage sale, and bought it for $1. Thinking it would be perfect as a shot glass rack, I discovered that the spacing between the shelves was about 1/8" too narrow for standard-sized shot glasses. Flipping it over & looking at the back, I saw...
  10. Kevin Vernon

Need Confuser assistance, Re: Spreadsheets.

I have several old spreadsheets - various inventories - that were created using Lotus 123. Is there an easy way, or ANY way, to convert those file to something that can be opened with either MS Office, or OpenOffice? :huh::dunno: -Kevin in Indy (hoping someone can point him in the right...
  11. Kevin Vernon

In which we add a new router table to the chaos

The ongoing evolution of my Shop has achieved another milestone. Quite some time back, like I dunno, a year and a half or something, I posted some pics of a stand/cabinet I built for my little Ryobi benchtop Table Saw. This past January, I finally upgraded that toy to a "Real" table saw...
  12. Kevin Vernon

Cedar display shelf

A while back I posted a gloat about salvaging some rough-cut cedar boards. This thread: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?p=168370#post168370 Here are some pics of the first completed project using those salvaged boards. A friend of mine was wanting a display rack for shot...
  13. Kevin Vernon

Wood Gloat

Ok, gang - Y'all tell me how good a gloat this is: The other day I noticed, sitting out behind a local liquor store, a couple of wood wine bottle display racks, so I popped in & asked them what was up with those rack out behind their back door, and was told that they were being disposed of...
  14. Kevin Vernon

Ridgid's new R4511 Granite Table Saw

It's interesting to me, that as I come in here to post this, Stephan is posting about his new 3HP Steel City Granite Saw - this is it's Little Brother. :D There has been a lot of talk going around about this new saw - and I have been lusting after one almost since I heard about them. With the...
  15. Kevin Vernon

New Bench Drawers in the shop.

Alex's "Little Shop Upgrade", up there in Flatwork, reminded me that I have yet to post piccys of my latest addition. In the never ending quest for additional shop space/storage/organization, I have added a set of drawers under a bench in my shop. Here's the bench & it's attendant mess before...
  16. Kevin Vernon

Thoughts on Hitachi Table Saw....

C10LA 10" Left Tilt 1.5HP cabinet Saw. I have been kinda quietly looking for a table saw...gotta upgrade from this tiny Ryobi benchtop. I had been kinda looking at one of the Craftsman 22124 cabinet saws...but the price on this Hitachi is MUCH better....and with all the talk of tool prices...
  17. Kevin Vernon

PurpleHeart Jolly Roger

This is a Birthday Present for a "Turning 10" li'l girl who is a Pirates of the Caribbean FREAK. :D The base, or "Flag" portion is simply 1/4" ply, covered in black Felt. The Skull & Crossbones, or "Jolly Roger" section is scrollsawed from 3/4" Purpleheart - and man, lemme tell ya, that stuff...
  18. Kevin Vernon

clear finish on Purpleheart?

What would you recomend? Obviously, I don't want anything to mess with that gorgeous purple tone - but I want the wood protected. If it helps any, this will just be something decorative, hanging on a wall. If anybody has suggestions, I'm all ears. :dunno::huh: -Kevin in Indy
  19. Kevin Vernon

Routers, lifts, tables - questions.

First off - I have a fixed base, in a table - came as a combo, this particular Ryobi: Actually, the Ryobi combo I have is a bit older than this one shown, it has a slightly different guard/dust chute arrangement, and the router that came with it has only a fixed base, not a plunge like this...
  20. Kevin Vernon

"Super" Saw Horses....

..or, as I call 'em, "Saw Oxen" :rofl: Uprights on each end are 2x8's - the cross braces are 2x6's, the feet are 2x4's, and the removeable, re-positionable long stringers are 2x3's. Makes a nice moveable (I hate to say portable - they are kinda heavy) work table, easily big enough for a 4x8...