Search results

1. Bill Satko

Problem: Woodpeckers SS Woodworking Square

I have a few Woodpecker tools: router table and lift, T-square and a large aluminum square. Almost all of these were bought some time ago when the pricing was not so egregious. Because I do so much hand work I have wanted one of their stainless steel square with the nice scribing notches. Over...
  2. Bill Satko

New Wooden Smoother, Kind of...

Some time ago I was gifted with an old wooden smoother that had seen better days. I had helped some friends install a new hot water tank and they gave me their father's hand plane that had been sitting around unused for some time. He wasn't really a woodworker so I believe that he only picked...
  3. Bill Satko

Potter's Throwing Gauge

I made this throwing gauge based on pictures and rudimentary dimensions that I found on a London potter's website. I estimated most of the measurements based on the pictures and drew it up in SketchUp. I had designed the actual pointers to be composed of three 1/8" thick pieces (plywood) that...
  4. Bill Satko

Kudo's to Woodcraft

We live fairly remote. When we bought our place, it never had a mailbox at the street as it was a second home for someone that lived in Seattle. We decided to get a PO Box in town. Even though there does not appear to be any problem with mail theft and our road is just a rural road that ends...
  5. Bill Satko

Hand Saw Sharpening: Getting Methodical

Yesterday I sharpened my 26" Disston D8 5-1/2 tpi rip saw, LN 9" dovetail saw and LN 14" cross cut tenon saw. The process made me realize that I need to be more systematic in my approach. Because I am not sharpening that often I tend to forget how the saw was last sharpened. Things like how it...
  6. Bill Satko

Wildfire Season Has Arrived...

with a vengeance. We have had a relatively slow start but the past few weeks have turned that around. About 3 weeks ago we had a fire in the North Cascades that closed that pass. Just last week we got another one in the same pass. Those fires are just inconvenient and not a threat to anyone...
  7. Bill Satko

Dewalt 10" Jobsite Table Saw w/ Rolling Stand

Today while I was out, FedEx dumped off my new saw. It was in my parking space. Way too heavy to move the box to the house, so I opened it up and carried the individual components to the courtyard and assembled it. The rolling cart was easy with the instructions being simple to understand...
  8. Bill Satko

Portable Table Saw Suggestions?

When I sold my table saw and all my other stationary tools before moving to my current home, I envisioned buying a top of the line table saw for my new wood shop. Well I don't have that wood shop and it is still somewhere in the distant future. I am finding I need a table saw for project work...
  9. Bill Satko

Isaac Smith & Blackburn Tools

I personally like to forget bad experiences but sometimes you can't help but get reminded. Yesterday I got an email from Isaac Smith of Blackburn Tools. I got burned by Isaac when I ordered a saw from him and put down a 40 dollar deposit in 2014. I probably could have pursued getting my money...
  10. Bill Satko

Irwin No. 2 Adjustable 7/8 To 3 Inch Auger Drill Bit

The Methow Valley Community Center had its annual April Tool Sale. This is what I managed to pick up this time. I been wanting one for a while. It was in great condition and did not appear to be used much. It did have a slight burr on the cutting edge but I took care of that. Seems to work...
  11. Bill Satko

We have been adopted!

We don't have any pets. As much as we like the idea of a dog, our lifestyle is such that we are always on the move doing things. We are currently unwilling to change that, so we have avoided making any emotional commitments to a pet. Until now. An older buck has decided that he likes our place...
  12. Bill Satko

Question: What Size Ratcheting Bar Clamps?

I need to buy some ratcheting bar clamps. Right now I am not looking at 24" or longer but a set of smaller size for some quick one handed clamping. Just so there is no misunderstanding I provided a picture below as to the type I am looking at. I am not looking for this for the purpose of...
  13. Bill Satko

The Tool I Couldn't Do Without

My bench. Not only for woodworking. I have found it handy to have no matter what the type of project. This morning it was to apply glide wax to my XC skis. It would nice to get a wax profile to support the skis better. I like the looks of wooden ones. The question is buy one or buy the...
  14. Bill Satko

My Xmas Present To Myself

I ordered this coffin smoother from Steve Voigt over a year and half ago. I understand that he is going to go full time in plane making so the wait list in the future may be much shorter. I love the way this plane feels in my hand and how easy it cuts a shaving. Probably be the first smoother...
  15. Bill Satko

It's Warming Up For Xmas!

16. Bill Satko

Mech Rm Remodel

A.K.A the "Temp Pottery Studio". I have decided to consolidate some pictures and information that I have already posted via the weekly "Friday" threads. I will then update this thread with additional progress. First some background on the room. It is a mechanical room that resides under the...
  17. Bill Satko

Just me?

For the most part I am no longer impacted too much by supply chain shortages, but every once in while some odd product that I desire is just not available. The latest is 3" snap lock metal duct pipe. I am running a vent line from a kiln bottom to a wall mounted exhaust fan. Home Depot near me...
  18. Bill Satko

What Amp Hour Battery Size?

I know it is a long shot but I am wondering if anyone has some input into the right size amp hour battery (2, 5, etc.) to get to go along with an M18 1/4 Hex Driver? A large amp hour will also mean a heavier tool and might also create a balance problem with using the tool. Going to pick up a...
  19. Bill Satko

Firewood Racks

Dang it, even though I said I was not going to be productive this weekend, I couldn't stop. I kept hearing my wife's voice in my head. The design is based on You Tuber Jon Peters' design. I still have to install some 2x2 on the posts. Have to wait until Monday to get the wood. Speaking of...