Search results

1. Mike Stafford

In search of maecenatism

Those of us who attempt to sell some of our work to offset the cost of tools, wood and supplies are always in need of a sugar daddy or mama. I hope I can find a patron or patroness soon as my mad money is running out.
  2. Mike Stafford

You just never know...

We live on a cul-de-sac with almost all of our neighbors in their 60's or 70's with one exception. The newest family to the street has a daughter who is a freshman in college. Sunday afternoon, the father of that young woman had a massive heart attack and died while his wife and daughter were...
  3. Mike Stafford

Dog sitting

The in-laws dropped off their cute little dogs at our place on the way to the beach. Both of them are mutts but they are adorable mutts. They are getting old. One is 13 and the other is 10. We get to spoil them for a week. I am really good at spoiling kids and dogs. Nothing I would rather...
  4. Mike Stafford

Richard Raffan video on boxes

Jay Caughron kindly clued me in about this video Richard Raffan posted on Youtube in which he included one of my boxes and made a few comments. The box is bocote and is one of the boxes I traded with Richard in 2011. Here is a link to the video. My box makes an appearance at about 6:55 in the...
  5. Mike Stafford

Jesse Owens and Luz Long

Most people our age have seen this photo of Jesse Owens on the winner's podium after he won the Olympic Long Jump gold medal. Behind him is the German who came in second place. He is the one saluting Hitler with the Nazi salute. When Jesse won Luz was the first one to congratulate Jesse...
  6. Mike Stafford

A big day at our house...

My lovely bride retired today. It was her last day after teaching mathematics at a small college (now a university) for 34 years. All totaled she has 51 years teaching mathematics including her short stints early in her career as a high school math teacher. She also taught at ECU just down the...
  7. Mike Stafford

Crawl out through the fallout, baby...

Crawl out through the fallout, baby When they drop that bomb Crawl out through the fallout With the greatest of aplomb When your white count's getting higher Hurry, don't delay I'll hold you close and kiss those Radiation burns away Crawl out through the fallout, baby To my loving arms Through...
  8. Mike Stafford

Eclipse words

This week my Word-A-Day site has been sending me words to prepare me for the eclipse on Monday. I don't think where I am I will be able to see much of the actual eclipse but at least I will be prepared to talk about it. I thought I would share all this wonderful knowledge with my friends here...
  9. Mike Stafford

2023 Knives

I finally got around to taking pictures of the knives I built last year. It was raining and quite windy here yesterday so it seemed like a good time to set up the photo booth and take some pictures. I also wanted to try out my new acrylic knife stands which made it a lot easier to photograph...
  10. Mike Stafford

Hoarding wood...

The WD-40 thread reminded me of why we hoard things. Andy Rooney put it better than I ever could. "When I come home with wood I have found in some obscure sawmill, lumberyard or farmers barn, my wife invariably asks one of two questions: "Don’t you have enough wood?" or alternately, "What are...
  11. Mike Stafford

I hate meeses to pieces....

I am not exactly Mr. Jinks but I can honestly say I hate meeses to pieces as much as he did. We have found evidence of a mouse or mice in our laundry room and also in the bottom of our pantry. Not exactly sure what they have found to eat but I am making a thorough search to see if I can find...
  12. Mike Stafford

Albert Edward

It was reported that an 11 foot long, 750 pound alligator that was 34 years old named Albert Edward was seized by authorities in New York. It seems that the owner failed to renew his license to own an alligator which expired in 2021. The alligator lived in a pool house that was attached to the...
  13. Mike Stafford

Dave Hoskins?

I happened to realize that I haven't seen anything from Dave in quite a while. Does anyone know if Dave is having some issues?
  14. Mike Stafford

Does a body good!

I would just like to say that an Instant Pot full of clam linguine with garlic butter sauce and parmesan does a body good. Have mercy! Dinner was delicious! Just what I needed on a damp dreary day.
  15. Mike Stafford

Stewed beef....

I had to run some errands for the boss lady and pick up a few things at the grocery store. While I was there I noticed that the chuck roast was on sale so I bought a couple of pounds to make some stewed beef. Stewed beef is just chuck roast cut up into small pieces and added to a pot of two...
  16. Mike Stafford

Tergiversation

Have you noticed that when you ask a politician a question you never get a straight answer. In fact you probably don't even get an answer at all. They are all masters of tergiversation. And that's all I have to say about that.
  17. Mike Stafford

Wisdom for a Life of Continuous Growth

Did a bit of reading on Jackie Chan's life. He has overcome much. Never thought of him as a philosopher but these quotes from him made me think he is a wise man. Be thankful for what you have. "The difficult job you complain about is the dream of someone unemployed. The mischievous child that...
  18. Mike Stafford

Need some heavy lifting.....

Call the SSCV Sleipnir. The SSCV (semi-submersible crane vessel) Sleipnir is the largest vessel of its type in the world. It was built in Singapore for Heerema Marine of Norway. The vessel rides on 8 columns nearly 80 feet tall. The name of the ship comes from the mythical horse Sleipnir which...
  19. Mike Stafford

As slow as molasses....

at the North Pole. I am feeling very testudinal this morning.:giggle:
  20. Mike Stafford

Sharp-shinned hawk

I was washing dishes and a movement outside caught my attention. There was a hawk sitting on a limb in my neighbor's shrubbery about 12 feet away with a bird in its mouth. I did not recognize the species of hawk but it was obviously a bird of prey as evidenced by its talons and curved beak. It...