Search results

1. A

Bandsaw blades

Since I never throw anything away… I have accumulated a number of used bandsaw blades (some for which I have no bandsaw anymore). So, pretending to be busy, I started going through them to get the “still too good to throw away” ones out ready to be used (or not)…. lots of them still have some...
  2. A

I need some advice...

I'm going to make a mesquite bench for outdoor use. The slabs are many years dry and are 2" thick. The bench will be exposed completely to the elements year round for from now on. I considered epoxy but don't know if it would bubble and flake off... Or is there some better way to preserve it...
  3. A

Restore-a-Finish

#1 wife asked me to post the question: Has anyone had any experience with "Restore-a-Finish" https://www.howardproducts.com/product/restor-a-finish/ I've seen the can in the store but never used it... Alan
  4. A

Lathe question.

I have an older Rockwell lathe. It is belt driven and speed is adjusted by working the belts to progressively larger or smaller pulleys. Most of my turning has been limited to pieces 4"- 6" in diameter. I'd like to do some bigger bowls of up to 11". That's as much as I can do on that lathe. I'm...
  5. A

Foot Surgery

#1 wife has been having foot problems for some time now. The main culprit is arthritis, primarily in her right big toe joint in at the ball of her foot. Doc says he wants to fuse the joint. He said that joint replacement would not be good at that joint. Has anyone had any experience with this...
  6. A

Flies...

I've noticed for some time now (like forever), that certain power tools seem to have a very strong attraction effect on some flies. Today I was using a 4" grinder (HF), an orbital sander (Bosch) and another 4" grinder (DeWalt). When I would turn them on one-several large flies wold immediately...
  7. A

A "How do I do this" ?

I want to make #1 wife a baguette/french bread slicing rack. It's pretty basic but I'm in a quandary as to how to cut the channel. Aside from hacking it out with an adze or Lancelot tool, I thought about rigging an offset fence on the table saw. I'd only try to take off about 1/4" at a time...
  8. A

Aspirin and COVID

I'm sure everyone has Google or the like, so you can search, read and draw your own conclusions. In discussing covid with my SIL (Reg Nurse) , #1 wife was told that the use of one aspirin per day significantly lowers the risk of blood clots and subsequent stoke in patients post COVID. Likewise...
  9. A

Dust collection system.

After blowing out the shop twice today and with diminishing results I decided it was time to set up the dust collection system and use the dang thing. I am in a bit of a quandary about running the ground wires. It appears that my dad had ground wire running inside the ductwork of the system...
  10. A

State of the art circa 1962

In 1962 my father purchased, for the sum of $336.46, a DeWalt Power Shop radial arm saw with accessories. The first thing he built was a Mahogany trestle table for my mother. The second thing he built was a huge desk for me. We couldn't get it in my room at the top of the stairs, so he had to...
  11. A

Aggravation

So, I made the pastry boards for #1 wife and my 3 DILs. Visiting one of them today I noticed the pastry board out within easy reach, which is good showing it was being used. Upon a perfunctory inspection I noticed that the Walnut end piece was sticking out past the edge of the ash board. Now I...
  12. A

Older Delta Unisaw

I have an older (kind of a relative term) Delta Unisaw that was my dad's. He probably got it around 1990 but I have no idea when it was built. It has that little on/off switch tucked neatly almost out of reach (certainly out of sight) down under the table top. I find it very hard to use as I...
  13. A

Pictures to encourage focus when using shop tools....

If you have any slight inclination to vomit at the sight of gruesome injuries, you should close this thread now.... The watch band didn't slow the chop saw down to any discernible degree... There's still time to close.... Every time I look at this I hurt all the way to the bone. But...
  14. A

Christmas presents

Two out of three turned items won a place in the Latheland forum. I made four of these for #1 and my DILs. The picture doesn't show much. Pastry boards with a French rolling pin and a small bowl for the extra flour. The boards are White Ash (I know, not the best choice but it's what I had)...
  15. A

Woodturning for Dummies (that would be me)

Some pictures of the tools I have. If anyone has time for some instruction I'd appreciate knowing nomenclature, the do's and more importantly for me right now, the Don'ts of using them. Alan first batch
  16. A

First Rule of Woodturning...

While I have turned a few items in the past, I am relatively new to woodturning as a whole. Today, I developed some rules... Rule #1: Until you learn, and follow, the rules of woodturning, keep bandaids in both front pockets... I developed this rule shortly after I decided to check the...
  17. A

Cutting board

#1 wife FINALLY told me that there was something she wanted... a cutting board (even though some years ago she told me she did NOT want a wooden cutting board.... go figure).. Anyway, I running with it for now. Presently, I have a supply of Walnut, Ash, a little bit of Cherry, and Mesquite...
  18. A

Simple Pistachio Bowl

This stuff was a lot harder than I expected. Alan
  19. A

Workbench

I like to carve bowls (free hand) with die grinders and the attachments for them. I've always had to hold the stock on a saw horse with a myriad of clamps holding it in place. So, I decided to build something that I hope will take the place of all that. It also will sit outside the shop where...
  20. A

Rustic Pecan Dough Bowl

I thought #1 wife could use a bowl to put Fall decorations in. I had a chunk of fresh cut Pecan so I hit it pretty hard with the Lancelot Tool and the chainsaw. After I got it roughed out (and it was very rough. The Lancelot tool doesn't like green wood), I use a Warrior 24 grit wheel the a...