Search results

1. Ned Bulken

cityscapes

Hi gang, visiting my folks in VA and I hauled down some board pieces and some scrap... when I glue up the boards, after the first cross cut, I wind up with these randomish assemblies... I stand them up on end, glue them together and they begin to look like a city vista... enjoy!
  2. Ned Bulken

$5 screwdriver set at home depot

I thought I'd pass this one along... I'm giving my boys each a set for christmas... hopefully they won't steal my tools now. (ha!) http://dealnews.com/HDX-51-Piece-Screwdriver-Set-for-5-pickup-at-Home-Depot/1235126.html I selected pick up at store, and they only had 2 sets, so they upgraded me...
  3. Ned Bulken

Road trip

Anyone along 1-81 between syracuse & Harrisonburg VA? I'm road tripping Monday and Wednesday to see my parents. I'll have my youngest son Pat with me, Will detour for shop tours! Ned
  4. Ned Bulken

Great News

Hi folks, been a busy month, between the kickstart, family goings on and what not. I stopped in to visit a former co-worker at Swift Transportation one late night. He wanted a cutting board for his wife, and I had one already made. He made a chance comment that they were looking for an ECT...
  5. Ned Bulken

Oh Bother--- electrical issue

Well, I tried to fire up my drum sander this morning. My shop used to run on extension cord out of our utility room. It doesn't at the moment, because I've evidently blown the entire circuit for the washer/dryer. I've reset the breaker, but to no success. Needless to say, Lori is far from happy...
  6. Ned Bulken

Ned's Kickstarter Build

Hi gang, Thought I would have a showcase of just the build part of my kickstarter campaign that Darren mentioned here. The project is still going like gangbusters and I'm about to go full throttle on the build, hence this thread. Despite my parents' having enough to deal with currently, we...
  7. Ned Bulken

Hostess Gifts

I'm going to a friend's place tonight for an informal gathering. Thought it would be nice to take her a gift, so I threw a couple of pieces of cherry on the lathe:
  8. Ned Bulken

Paduak bangle

Today's the last day for banglebowl 2014; a fun contest dreamed up by Zac Higgins & Kyle Toth. Zac & Kyle are two new friends whom I met through Twitter. They got Marc Spagnuolo to host the contest on the Wood whisperer site. At last count there were nearly 40 entries in both turned and...
  9. Ned Bulken

Prototype...

I found a lack on one of my tools, so I decided to make my own replacement part. Can you guess what this is a prototype of? Ned
  10. Ned Bulken

YACB Yet Another Cherry Bowl

I didn't measure it, but I'd guess it is about 6.5" across and 4-5" tall. Bagged with shavings. revisit/return in a couple of months.
  11. Ned Bulken

Practice bowl

I took a really small chunk of cherry from a branch to 'completion' today. It was really small, so I put a spacer between my face plate and the blank: it had a couple of cracks, so I just focused on the curve, doubt it will survive in the long run. 3.5" across gotta love instant...
  12. Ned Bulken

Paint Question

OK gang, Question for you... I'm going to be attacking my solar project tomorrow. I'm putting up approximately 120sf of passive solar panels and I'm going to be painting the panels to increase my solar gain. I'm thinking of painting the panels a Dark Green so they'll better match the roof and...
  13. Ned Bulken

Good Thoughts Needed- Round three just started

I got a call from my father this afternoon, the rescue squad was just in the process of taking my mother to the hospital after a fall. She has a broken left radius (arm) and a compression fracture of the lower back. She's "resting comfortably" in the hospital overnight if not for a couple of...
  14. Ned Bulken

Maple curl bowl

6" maple... Lots of curl Ned
  15. Ned Bulken

Cherry branch bowl

Ned
  16. Ned Bulken

Le rolling Pin

Lori spotted one of these this weekend at a craft show. so... Ambrosia maple... ~11" long 1.25" diameter #instantgratification Ned
  17. Ned Bulken

YAB-a yabba bowl...

My friends Helen & Scott gave me another cherry log the other day, and Helen even cut it in half for me! Here's the first blank roughed out... about to go out and start the other half. Approximately 8-8.5" initially. I really need to work on my rounding cuts on the bandsaw, it was really...
  18. Ned Bulken

Sanding source?

OK guys & gals, I'm in the 'rough out' stage of my massive batch of turning. I can see that I'll eventually need more '80 grit gouge' material etc... Woodcraft has the 'woodturner's pack', which gives a decent range of grits. I have two rolls of 1" sandpaper 120 and 240 grits, enough that It'll...
  19. Ned Bulken

First turned box

Ned
  20. Ned Bulken

Small Cherry Bowl

And a link to my blog post about making it... http://artisanboards.blogspot.com/2014/09/birth-of-bowl.html Thanks for checking in!