Search results

1. A

12'' oak serve platter

Got lately a couple of oak table tops, 1 5/16'' thick. I knew my daughter Karin, can use a lot of stuff for her household, since she live on her own for almost a year, also I knew that she missed a serve platter for snacks or crackers, or something else. So I decided to make a serve platter for...
  2. A

Lidded box

I'm for a long time in touch with one of the best American boxmakers, Pam Reilly, not only her lidded boxes are masterpieces, but also her mosaics hollow forms are breathtaking beautiful. Sometimes I told her that I like it to copy one of her lidded boxes, always a challenge for me. So I had a...
  3. A

Italy-Sicily Roundtrip

Came saturday night back home from a 17 days roundtrip through Italy and Sicily. We traveled with a group of 31 people in a coach, first from Holland to Southern Germany were we stay the night over, and the next day to Lido di Jesolo in Italy, close to Venice. We visit the next day Venice, and...
  4. A

Oval tealight holder

Turned today an Oval tealight holder for the birthday of my daughter Karin. Had to turn it in a hurry, because tomorrow she celebrate her birthday, so not much time left for me. Well I have to bring up later a couple of finishing layers, but It seems to me a nice gift to her of my first oval...
  5. A

First oval turning

Started yesterday with the first try out to create oval shapes. After searching for the right gripping point of the tool, I found the shape in the middle of picture 1000049 acceptable, the device was running with a speed of 733rpm. Today the first real try out to make a oval shape 180mm x 155mm...
  6. A

First test run Oval turning device

Spend yesterday almost the whole day on the rollerchain transmission from the lathe to the device, and got this work done late in the afternoon. Just time enough left before dinner for the first test run, and to make a small video recording. Started up with a very low rpm in the first place, no...
  7. A

Progress on the Oval turning device

I'm far down the road, with the construction of the Oval turning device. Did last week a lot of work, like balance the rockin headstock with a lead counterweight, and I made other parts and assembled everything into the frame. What left is to take care of the transmission from the lathe to the...
  8. A

Oval turning device, more work in progress pictures

Put all the parts of the rockin headstock together, to be sure that everything fits well, before I fasten everything with screws. What left is to make the counterweight, and assemble this counterweight, and to find out the needed balance. Thanks for looking. Ad :wave:
  9. A

Oval turning device-work in progress pics.

Finished several parts for the device, under which the crankaxle drive, and almost the wooden frame. I placed for the picture the wooden frame on the bed of the lathe, actually this is the place where the device belongs. the wooden frame is made of hardwood, in this case pretty hard meranti, and...
  10. A

Two candlesticks

I made for my dear lady two ''grenenhouten'' candlesticks, was a long time ago I made one. She wanted these candlesticks for the livingroom, and she placed them on the mantelpiece, one on each corner. For making these candlesticks I had leftover pieces ''Grenen'' (yellow pine). These...
  11. A

Other design Oval turning device

After thinking a long time on my first design, I found another and more simply way for building an oval turning device, so with less parts than in my first design, and also with the possibility to turn three different oval shapes.. All the rotating parts are fitted with rollerbearings, and the...
  12. A

Prunus bowl

Had first the intention to make a lidded bowl, but it warped a little bit, so than you never be able to make a nice fit of the lid. Okay than only a bowl, also nice. Prunus is familiar with cherry, we call it ''steenkers''. It's an inland woodspecies, grows in the province Limburg mostly. Got it...
  13. A

12'' segmented bowl

Just finished a 12'' segmented bowl made of ''grenen'' (yellow pine) Sanded and polished with shavings, and finished with as usual blanc transparent stain. I had a lot of this ''grenen'', now I'm running out of this wood. Thanks for looking.
  14. A

11'' Platter Grenen (yellow pine)

Well I had left over a nice sqaire piece of ''grenen'' (12''x12''x1 1/4''), just good enough for making a platter. Maybe not the right wood for a platter, but I did. :huh: Here the result. Thanks for looking.
  15. A

Segmented vase

At last after four weeks celebrating carnival I found the time to finish a segmented vase. This thing is 8'' in diameter, and 12'' tall. Woodspieces, Grenen and meranti. Finished with two layers blanc transparent stain. Thanks for looking. :wave:
  16. A

Carnival

Okay, as you all probably know, in this time of the year it's carnival time in the Netherlands, and well in particular in the Southern part of the Netherlands. So also in my place Bergen op Zoom, here it's the biggest event of the year, takes four whole weeks till the lent started. Last saturday...
  17. A

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year
  18. A

Another segmented turning

Segmented turnings are always a big fun for me, this time I made a '' 300mm gesegmenteerde bord '', 12'' segmented platter, with using ''Grenenhout'' (yellow pine) again. This plate have a hight of 3'', and is finished with two layers of blanc transparent stain.
  19. A

12'' segmented bowl

After a to long time I finished a turning. This time a 12'' segmented bowl, you could see this as a try out for my beltsander too. I made this bowl of ''Grenenhout", is not to translate in English, but you can compare this the best with yellow pine. It have a very nice smell, and 30 years ago I...
  20. A

The place where I live

Might be nice to look to a video of my livingplace, Bergen op Zoom. The website of Bergen op Zoom: www.bergenopzoom.nl When open click on VVV touristboard. Next click on the English version Than click on Video presentation 15Mb large. Anyway it seems to me nice to see where members live, in this...