Search results

1. D

Shop built saw vise (long)

This project was inspired by the classes I took with Ron Herman and Mike Wenzloff during the recent WIA conference. I decided that it was high time I outfitted myself with the proper tools so I could accomplish that. I had a Stanley 42X saw set and I recently purchased a set of the appropriate...
  2. D

Mixing a wipe on Shellac finish

Hi gang, I guess I should preface this with the fact that I have tended to use premixed shellac finishes and found them to be pretty nice. However, I got sick and tired of wasting half a quart when it gets all dry and hard from not using it. I was under the impression that buying shellac flakes...
  3. D

Coccobolo and Brass Marking Gauges

Hi gang, Over the past few weeks I've been discussing marking gauge design with Jack (aka Timberwolf) and Hank Knight (both from WoodNet). After some initial design attempts, I decided that I liked Jack's design the best. With some help from him I drew up the design in 3D and made a rendering...
  4. D

Saw storage in tool cabinet

Hi gang, This past weekend I completed the saw storage portion of my tool cabinet. Back last year at this time I had installed my old stock of saws on the left side door panel. Along with them I had marking knives and some other assorted tools. Here's a photo showing the old configuration on...
  5. D

Handle/knob selection for bowsaw

Hi gang, I finished making (2) sets of handles/knobs for the bowsaw (along with the toggles) I'm making for my buddy and wanted to get some feedback on them from y'all. I turned one set from Cherry and the other from Walnut. I know my buddy likes both. However, just be be different I went...
  6. D

SUCESS! Bowsaw Mark II

Hi gang, I just finished the construction of my 12" Graymercy Bowsaw kit. My first go around was,....not good. Let's face it, it was catastrophic! But I learned a lot about the importance of grain orientation, not to deviate from the plan drastically, and to go a little lighter when...
  7. D

Stanley Type 19 No 4 1/2

For sale: Stanley type 19 No 4 1/2 Smoother This smoother is one of my favorites users. But I already have a Type 11 No 4 1/2 and a LN No 4 1/2 and they're getting jealous! I've cleaned and tuned this one up to the best of my abilities. The body retains approx. 85% to 90% of it's original...
  8. D

Shop built plane hammer

Here's some photos of a the plane hammer I finished up last night. The 1" dia brass head weighs about 4 oz and is faced with a "plug" of end grain bubinga on one side. The end of the brass head with the bubinga has a 7/16" hole drilled in it. The bubinga plug was turned a bit over sized...
  9. D

A refurbed Stanley Type 19 No 4 1/2

I got this No 4 1/2 from Ebay some time last week with the plan of cleaning it up and offering it up for sale. When it arrived it was in sadder shape than I expected. The iron was from a No4 sized wood plane and was the tapered variety and the chip breaker was from a Sargent (which would not...
  10. D

Bedrock 608C Refurb

Hi Gang! Well here it is! Another in a series of Bedrock restorations! I got this Bedrock 608C off of Ebay some time last summer for the princely sum of $80 (:eek: :D GLOAT!). The tote and knob were in pretty nice condition and the japaning looked reasonably intact. The iron was just about...
  11. D

A refurbed Type 4 Bedrock 607

Hi gang, I just finished cleaning up an old Type 4 Bedrock 607 I got from Jim Reed almost 2 years ago (talk about procrastination!). Here are some before pictures: I soaked all cast iron parts in Evaporust for 24 hours and then wire brushed them clean. The sole wasn't in bad shape so it...
  12. D

A cleaned up Type 11 Stanley No 4 1/2

Hi Gang, Well, here's a neat Type 11 (at least, that's what Hyper Kitten's On-Line Stanley Bench Plane Type Study tells me it is) that I got from Ebay last year. From the patent dates, and lever cap hole I believe it's one of those "tall handled" type 11s you hear about. And the online type...
  13. D

Some burnishers I made

Hi Gang, A week or so back I posted a question on another forum regarding some scrap steel I had come across and was planning to use as scraper stock . During the discussion it was suggested to me that I should use a harder burnisher, one that is also polished. At this point enter Harry. A...
  14. D

Help with troubleshooting wooden coffin smoother

Hi gang I just finished cleaning up this Union Warranted Coffin Smoother and have been having some problems getting it to work properly. I took a lot of photos in the hopes that the more knowledgable of you could offer me some tips. This Union Warranted Coffin Smoother was purchased at a local...
  15. D

Refurbed Bdrock 605 1/2 & 606

Hi gang, Here are some before and after shots of (2) Bedrock planes I refurbed this weekend. One is an early "round sided" Bedrock 605 1/2 and the other is a Bedrock 606. As you can see, both were in somewhat rusty condition when I got them. Bedrock 605 1/2: BEFORE Bedrock 606: BEFORE...
  16. D

Shop Re-Config

Hi everyone, I meant to post this thread here, but plum forgot all about it until now! :o Well, here you go! _____________________________________________________ Ever get one of those projects that spawned several dozen? Well that's what happened to me when I was working on my hand tool...
  17. D

WHOO HOO! Look what arrived today!!

Look what was waiting for me when I got home!! A spiffy (almost) new LN 4 1/2 and a bronze LN 140 courtesy of recent purchase from a classified add on WoodCentral. These bad boys look pretty much brand spanking new! Besides being in near new condition, they came complete with their original...
  18. D

Some chisel handles

Hi Gang, Over the past couple months I accumulated some nice socket chisels from Ebay and Flea Markets. I had some 720s, some Ward Masters, a Samson Hrdw, a Union, and a 3/4" Witherby (which was a real surprise since I got it for $1) Only a couple of them had handles that were usable. So I...
  19. D

Tool Cabinet: kids moving into the rooms!

Hi gang, Over the past week I managed to squeeze in a little shop time. This was no easy feat since I was working a couple 14 hour days! (God bless Caffeine!) Anyway I moved my jointer, and fore planes into the "plane till". The photo below shows the Tool cabinet with Plane Till door closed...
  20. D

Adding UHMW to a Shoot Board

Hi gang, While cleaning up the shop over the past weekend I came across this sheet of UHMW (or is it UHMV?...whatever!) that I purchased from PeachTree USA several years back. It was meant as a face for a tablesaw jig that never got made. It fell behind some boards and was forgotten until this...