Search results

1. M

Monster MAP-HD Hollowing System

SOLD SOLD SOLD
  2. M

Magnolia Vessel

This piece ended up about 11-1/2" tall and about 11-1/2" wide. To be honest I was not at all impressed with this piece of wood until I started applying finish. The color and grain really showed then.
  3. M

Catalpa Bowl

First experience with this wood. It was not a pleasurable experience until I put the oil on the bowl and saw the color and grain pop. Up until then I had decided (and I'm pretty sure I still feel this way) I won't be turning any more of it. The wood was about halfway dry when I roughed it and...
  4. M

Spalted Ash Salad Bowl

Turned for some folks here in town - they're picking it up this week. It ended up 13" wide and 4-1/2" tall. Mahoney's Oil finish.
  5. M

White Oak burl on driftwood

I recently got some white oak burl from a man in Kentucky who is a friend of my brother-in-law. I turned this little hollow form and am sending it to him as a "thanks". I have it perched on this piece of driftwood now, but to be honest I'm not real crazy about the combination. My wife...
  6. M

Elm bowl

Turned a NE bowl a while back from a chunk of Elm and lost the bark. Wife persuaded me to finish it up and brand/burn the rim. So here it is... I'm not real crazy about it, but hopefully someone this weekend will like it.
  7. M

Buckeye Burl Natural Edge

Just a small NE piece... nice color and figure, in my opinion. All the other pieces of this wood I've turned have been like turning styrofoam... this one, however, had a bit of density. All flavor of opinions welcomed.
  8. M

Ramone Burl

That's what it was labeled anyway... it looks like Maple to me, but this little chunk of wood was very heavy and dry as a desert bone. The dust was very irritating to my eyes and nose. It is definitely not Maple. It was hard on the bit in my boring bar, too, as I had to sharpen several times...
  9. M

Thick Ash bowl

Getting ready for a show next weekend and trying to add some variety... not much to say about this one except it is thick.
  10. M

Black Walnut

Some nice wood from a couple of years ago. I roughed it out and it has been sitting on the rack covered in dust all this time. Glad I got around to finishing it - I had forgotten about the nice figure/color in this piece.
  11. M

Bois d'Arc bowl

I sure do enjoy turning this wood. It has a reputation for dulling chainsaw chains, but it sure cuts easy and clean on the lathe. Just a plain little bowl with a round bottom, but sure is some pretty wood.
  12. M

Black Cherry

Another piece of wood that I've had sittin' on the rack for a long time. An old limb ran thru this piece on a diagonal. I don't normally put big feet on bowls, but this one felt right to me. I think it works okay with the void left by the limb, elevating it enough to show it off... but just...
  13. M

Cedar Sunflower

Decided to try something I've never done before - a piece to hang on a wall. A friend said it made him think of a sunflower, so I'm stickin' with it. Vaughn told me to paint it green and fill in the voids with red glitter... but I decided to seal it up good with dewaxed shellac and then use...
  14. M

Mesquite & Blackwood

The domed base for the finial, as well as the inset design, was inspired by a couple of pieces Keith Burns' has turned. Mesquite is one of my favorite woods to turn... cuts like butter and sands/finishes very easy. All comments - good, bad, or ugly - are welcome.
  15. M

Black Walnut

Getting ready for a show and decided to try something different to see if it might appeal to someone. My wife likes it, so hopefully someone else will, too. The bowl is about 9" wide and about 3" deep. Comments of all flavors are welcomed.
  16. M

Ash Bowls

Slightly spalted... the smaller one has antique oil on it and the bigger one has lacquer. Not enough difference in color to make much difference, so will probably use AO on any more of this wood that I turn.
  17. M

Masur Birch

First piece of this wood that I've turned. Got it from a good friend and it is much appreciated. Sanded thru 2000 grit and then finished with Seal-a-Cell. I'm not completely satisfied with the form, so your comments on that are welcomed.
  18. M

Red Gum, NIP, Honey Locust, Walnut, Magnolia

Some pics of recent turnings... not much detail - I guess just proving that I do actually still have a lathe and it does actually still work.
  19. M

Magnolia

This is a piece of Magnolia turned end-grain to try and show off some of the color/spalting. The finish was a liberal coat of rattle can lacquer and then wiped it off before it dried. I didn't want to change the color of the wood and also didn't want a glossy finish. Here are a few shots...
  20. M

Manzanita & Red Eucalyptus

This piece had some major voids that I filled with epoxy/coffee. It was also burned pretty heavy on one side and there is enough of that left that you can see where it was burned. A few coats of antique oil and then buffed... I got this piece of wood a while back from Vaughn. I've had...