Search results

1. Jeff Bower

New to me jointer

Picked this beauty off of FB marketplace for $60 a little over a week ago. Owner bought it new, used it a few times and stuck it in storage. Pretty sure it's from the 80's, but haven't looked to far into it yet. Needed a good clean up but works great as far as I can tell. I'm happy!
  2. Jeff Bower

Nice little order delivered

Long time since I posted anything...but... Delivered a good sized order of boards and trays to a friend's equestrian center that will be used as awards at their fall shows that start this week. They purchased a brand that works and looks great. The trays are 16" x 10". The small boards are 10'...
  3. Jeff Bower

A few bowls from late last year/earlier this year

I haven't turned anything in at least a month, but here are a few from the not so distant past. A burr oak crotch, some torched burr oak and a trio of maple, ash and walnut.
  4. Jeff Bower

A few recent turned items

Been a while sense I posted anything here. Been busy at work and stuff. These are a few bowls and coffee scoops I've turned recently. The bowls are 2 box elder and spalted maple. The coffee scoops have been a hit with friends a family. Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
  5. Jeff Bower

Gift Package

Finished up the previously posted cherry bowl with signature and such last night. It's sat in the 100+ degree garage/shop for 3 days without any movement so I think it should be OK to finish up. Also finished a french rolling pin out of maple and a coffee scoop with a walnut handle. The bowl and...
  6. Jeff Bower

13" Cherry Bowl

I pushed the limits of my lathe yesterday afternoon with this one. The blank was a bit lopsided and BIG so I did some cuts on my little 10" bandsaw so it would fit and be pretty well balanced. Had hoped for a bit deeper bowl, but ended up with one about 13" in diameter and 4" deep. This will be...
  7. Jeff Bower

Steady Rest

I have a walking stick project that is past due for my BILs mother. I tried to turn a couple 28" pieces of maple as a test run and realized pretty quickly that I needed a steady rest to get the job done. I started making this one about 5yrs ago, but never finished it. Can't believe I found the...
  8. Jeff Bower

Walnut and Spalted Maple Bowls

Hadn't turned anything for quite a while and needed some lathe therapy so I braved the heat and humidity and turned these. Lots of sweating, but boy it felt good to get back on the lathe. :D The walnut one is about 9" for scale. On the spalted maple one I left the chainsaw marks on top. Finish...
  9. Jeff Bower

Succulent Pots

My daughter is finishing up grade school this week and she asked me to make some gifts for all of her teachers. I finally got all the little bowls turned yesterday morning and then she helped me plant the succulents and add the pea gravel. I've made quite a few of these this spring for gifts and...
  10. Jeff Bower

Bessy 6" clamp six pack at Home Depot

A month ago these were put out at $25...now they are down to $15. I picked one up last week when they were $18. Link
  11. Jeff Bower

Best Orbital Sander under $100

I dropped my Ryobi orbital sander last night and while it still works, it shakes like crazy and is louder than ever now. So now I'm in the market for a new sander...what is the best in the under $100 range. (festool or mikra aren't in the cards) I don't see that the low profile Porter Cable is...
  12. Jeff Bower

Spalted Cherry Bowls

I was looking for some maple to turn this past weekend and uncovered a cherry log I forgot about that was buried under leaves and other logs for about 2yrs. It looked great when I first cut it, but man once I turned it...I was excited. The spalting is incredible!! It reminded me of marble so I...
  13. Jeff Bower

Dust Deputy $39.99 at Ace Hardware

Got an email today about it...price is good thru 11/10!! LINK
  14. Jeff Bower

More Spalted Maple

Finished these two up this weekend. Back to my thicker, decorative bowls. One of these (maybe both) will go to the couple that saved the log when their maple tree came down in a storm. They asked for a heavy bowl that they can put on the table behind the sofa. Both are about 9" wide and finished...
  15. Jeff Bower

Walnut Bowl

The temps have been low here in Iowa so I got some shop time without sweating like a pig. :D This bowl is just over 8" in diameter and about 4" high. Finish is my home-brew danish oil. The sap wood has a bit of spalt to it and really contrasts with the heart wood. I have a bunch more of this...
  16. Jeff Bower

Couple Spalted Maple Bowls

Cut up some maple blanks last week and finally got to them yesterday. I could see some spalting when I cut the blanks, but it was kinda punky too. Luckily the only the sap wood was punky and long curlies stated to fly. Both bowls are just under 9". Finished with my homebrew danish oil.
  17. Jeff Bower

Burr Oak Platter

We had a brief drop in temps last night after a storm so I jumped at the chance to get out to the shop and turn something. I have a BIG pile of burr oak from a tree taken down in our backyard so I grabbed a crotch blank I'd cut a few weeks ago. It was starting to check kinda bad, but looks solid...
  18. Jeff Bower

Burr Oak Tree

Last fall our BIG burr oak tree behind the garage started loosing leaves way to early...Not a good sign. Well no leaves arrived this spring so it was time to cut it down. A wind storm a few weeks ago sent a limb down between our garage and our neighbors clipping our gutters and leaving a small...
  19. Jeff Bower

More Walnut Bowls

Finished these up last night...the bigger one is just over 9" and the two natural edge ones are between 5 and 6" . Lost most of the bark on one and saved it on the other. Still need to turn off the tenons too, but thought I'd share now. Now I'm out of roughed out blanks :(....
  20. Jeff Bower

"Easiest Drawers Ever"

Saw a posting of this video today...pretty slick if you ask me! Hope the guy gets paid for his invention! Click here