Search results

1. Dave Richards

Measuring Up

Since this category is pretty quiet I figured I'd show another model I completed today. This is a micrometer attributed to James Watt and dated to about 1776. It's modeled based on dimensions taken from the original. "Watt" Micrometer
  2. Dave Richards

A Little Block in SketchUp

Doodling for a client.
  3. Dave Richards

Dressing Up SketchUp Models for Presentation

SketchUp released a new extension called Diffusion. It uses AI to create images based on your SketchUp model and some text prompts. I gave it this model of Tim Manney's woorkbench from Fine Woodworking's Tools and Shops 2024. Compact Stout Workbench straight And this prompt: "new pine work...
  4. Dave Richards

A Ming-Style Table

This is a different style offurniture from what I'm normally interested in. This was done for the plans for Fine Woodworking. The table is by John Cameron. Except for the bridle joints between the long aprons and the spandrels, there's no glue used in assembly. No hardware whatsoever. Early...
  5. Dave Richards

Stacking Boxes for Print/Paper Storage

I did a quick model for someone who was looking for ideas for something simple to build for storing his large format drawings. His original idea was to make boxes with hinged lids that would stack. I did this design so he wouldn't have to shift boxes to get into ones lower down. Evidently...
  6. Dave Richards

A Dining Chair for Escher

I had a request from someone for a dining chair like this. Thought I'd share here since this category has been so quiet.
  7. Dave Richards

Screw Threads and 3D Printing

This isn't specifically about woodworking but I thought I'd show a thing I made with my new 3D printer recently. A while back I modeled a machinist's jack from old plans I found online. I wanted to see how the knurling and the screw threads would print. This is what I came up with. With...
  8. Dave Richards

SketchUp Make Heads Up

I happened to see a question on that other woodworking forum from someone who opened SketchUp 2017 Make recently and got a message regarding potential security issues. It seems likely that some folks here might see the same thing so I thought I'd address it. Trimble has after nearly 5 years...
  9. Dave Richards

Creating Stencils in SketchUp--Thanks to Rennie

Prompted by a question from Rennie, I did a video showing a way to create stencils and patterns for inlay/onlay in SketchUp. Here's the link. https://www.finewoodworking.com/2021/12/23/create-stencils-from-images-in-sketchup
  10. Dave Richards

How About Some Mid-Centry Modern?

Simple model done for a guy who wants to build one or two. Based on a table from the early 60's.
  11. Dave Richards

The Coffin Maker's Workbench

I was rooting around in some stuff and came across an old article about a workbench based on a coffin maker's bench. The author had reduced the length from 13 feet long to only 5. Holes on the apron and top are for hold fasts or dogs. The front vise is designed to be easily removed when it isn't...
  12. Dave Richards

L. Francis Herreshoff's Drawing Table

Yesterday I had a request from a retired naval architect for plans from a model I did a long time ago of L. Francis Herreshoff's drawing table. He designed and built this around 1930. The top is 9 feet long and the drawer is designed to hold large sheets of paper and it can be opened from either...
  13. Dave Richards

Woodworking This Time

Funny little wall cabinet based on a Dutch piece from about 1900. I don't know what you'd put in it but I think it could be a good project for a newer woodworker who wants to learn some techniques on a piece that wouldn't be too overwhelming.
  14. Dave Richards

Not Really Woodworking

Figured I'd inflict another of my SketchUp models on you. This one is an animation of a model steam engine. Click on the picture. I never did add the screws.
  15. Dave Richards

Adirondack Chairs

Since this forum category seems to be dead, here's a little something I did a while back. A guy was asking for how to layout and paint a silhouette of the state of Maine on the back of his Adirondack chairs. He had them modeled in SketchUp and was looking at a way to first, work out the size...
  16. Dave Richards

Some Furniture

Some of you may have seen at least a few of these pieces before. I was just playing this morning with a cool extension called Clothworks which got an update to work with SU2021. I used that extension to cover the cushions on the settee and to add the throw.
  17. Dave Richards

A Shaker Oval Box

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone is still using SketchUp (seems all the action is with Fusion 360 these days) and if so, would anyone be interested in a tutorial on modeling Shaker oval boxes. If there's enough interest I would do one with a video.
  18. Dave Richards

A Quickie Project For My Bride

My wife doesn't like to carry a purse because they are too big. So she has this wallety sort of things for a few cards and some cash. Problem is, it's flat and small and she never puts it in the same place twice and she often ends up covering it with something else making it hard to find. I...
  19. Dave Richards

Now What Do I Do?

I was out in my shop cleaning. (Seems cleaning always takes more time than messing. :rolleyes:) My wife came out to talk to me and among other things she said, "How come I haven't bought a new Festool for a long time?" I said, "What kind of Festool do you want?" She said, "I don't know. You'll...
  20. Dave Richards

A Maple Cutting Board

Stupid simple project but it needed to be done. I finally got tired of our selection of cutting boards. They are either too big or too small. This is roughly 12 x 16 inches. Nothing fancy but it'll do the job. Started with a piece of maple about 6 in. wide planed to 7/8 in. thick. Ripped an edge...