Search results

1. Duncan Cheslett

Oak Bedroom Furniture

Here's some photos of a bedroom job I finished for a client a couple of weeks ago. I'll go and take some better shots when they have finished decorating the room! Cheers Duncan
  2. Duncan Cheslett

Walnut Kitchen

Hi guys, Here are some photos of a kitchen I completed recently for a client. It basically all built from walnut veneered MDF with solid wood lippings. Hope you like it.
  3. Duncan Cheslett

My new shop

A few months ago I decided to downsize by moving out out of my big expensive workshop, letting my staff go, and sharing a smaller shop with another cabinetmaker. Well, the move is now complete and here it is. It is working out just fine, and for the first time ever I can make a good living from...
  4. Duncan Cheslett

Oak Bedroom & Office

Hi guys, Not been around much for a while - I've been busy moving my workshop and getting established in my new place. This was the first job I got finished after the move. It's an oak bedroom in an old country cottage. I also had to squeeze an office into a tiny unused area under the...
  5. Duncan Cheslett

Tod's Top Tip!

The simplest ideas are often the best, and they don't come much simpler than Tod's method of putting a straight edge on a rough board which he outlined on another thread the other day. For those who missed it I have explained it in more detail here. I had 15 boards of oak to 'straightline'...
  6. Duncan Cheslett

How important is a radial arm saw?

As I've mentioned in another thread I'm going to be leaving my workshop and moving in with a fellow cabinetmaker. We sat in the pub last night and over a few beers worked out the layout of our new shop. The only thing we couldn't agree on was my 24" radial arm saw. I use it a lot; he's never...
  7. Duncan Cheslett

Sharing a shop

A couple of things have happened in the last few days that have got me reappraising my immediate future in my business. Firstly, it looks like the whole industrial area where I have my shop is going to be redeveloped in the next year or so. I'm going to have to find new premises for my shop...
  8. Duncan Cheslett

Home Office in Oak

This was a nice little job I completed a month or so ago - I went back yesterday to take some photos and discuss a kitchen update!
  9. Duncan Cheslett

Sealing panels before assembly

It's been a long time since I've built any cabinets from solid wood - I normally use veneered MDF for all my carcasses. But this week we're on a job making solid oak bedroom furniture. I'd cut the side pieces for two large chests of drawers, machined the dadoes to hold the drawer rails, and was...
  10. Duncan Cheslett

Painted Kitchen

This is the job that's been keeping me awake all summer! It's probably the most complicated project I've ever undertaken from the most demanding client I've ever had. To compound matters, she's also pregnant! I don't think I need to elaborate on the difficulties this can result in... Anyway...
  11. Duncan Cheslett

TV Cabinet

I delivered this cabinet to a client yesterday - he's just emailed me some photo's. It kinda turned out well. I normally do more contemporary styles, but I really enjoyed making this. It was like being back in college!
  12. Duncan Cheslett

Snag List Nightmares

I don't know how you pro guys over there go about things, but when I get towards the end of an big installation job, I have found it a good policy to invite the client to prepare a 'snag list' of all the little blemishes, glitches etc so that I can work through it and sign the job off to their...
  13. Duncan Cheslett

Painted Kitchen

Everyone seems to want painted kitchens at the moment. Here's one I finished last week - nothing fancy but it turned out well. Carcasses, face frames and doors are made from MR MDF with solid oak worktops. Cornice is poplar. It's sprayed with acid-catylist paint. This took about 2...
  14. Duncan Cheslett

House extension

Here in England houses are built from bricks. Timber built houses are almost unknown apart from some builders using a timber frame with bricks as the outer skin. Thing is, I want to put a 30' long and 6' wide single storey extension along the side of my house with a lean-to roof. I've had a...
  15. Duncan Cheslett

Some examples of what I do

Well, I'm really enjoying getting to know you guys on this excellent forum and now that you've seen my shop, it's about time I proved I actually do some work there! I got into cabinetmaking from owning a pine furniture store for many years and starting to make the specials and custom pieces...
  16. Duncan Cheslett

An English Shop

Hi everyone. I just found this forum and it looks like a friendly place. Here's a few shots of my workshop in Manchester, England. I have 1000 sq ft in the main shop, with a 500 sq ft sprayshop next door. I employ one other cabinetmaker and a finisher making one-off pieces and kitchen and...