Jesse Owens and Luz Long

Mike Stafford

Most people our age have seen this photo of Jesse Owens on the winner's podium after he won the Olympic Long Jump gold medal. Behind him is the German who came in second place. He is the one saluting Hitler with the Nazi salute. When Jesse won Luz was the first one to congratulate Jesse.

1714322937526.png

Most of us are also probably aware that Luz and Jesse became friends and corresponded for years; even during WWII when Luz Long was on active duty in Northern Africa. As a matter of fact Luz's last letter to Jesse was written while he was stationed in Africa. In it he told Jesse of how he missed his wife and newborn son Karl. Prophetically Luz told Jesse that his heart tell him that this will be the last letter he will write. He goes on to ask Jesse if he would do him a favor. He asked Jesse to go to Germany after the war ends and find his son Karl and tell him how things can be between men. Luz was killed a few days later at the age of 30.

In 1951 Jesse Owens returned to Germany and found Luz's son Karl. When Karl got married Jesse was his best man.

Tell him how things can be between men on this earth,” Luz Long.

I wish we had learned that lesson but no, we thrive on hate and dissension. Jesse Owen and Luz Long were remarkable men.

Jesse Owens is my #1 all time greatest athlete hero. And, to me, he is #1 for more than his athletic abilities. I have a souvenir book of the 1936 Olympics. The photos are very telling. One of Owens meeting Hitler when Hitler refused to shake hands. Another of Jesse sitting and talking with a (white) German girl. At that time, even in the U.S. he might not have been allowed to do that.