Recent content by Wayne Bower

1. Wayne Bower

Grandpa at Kindergarten

I had the privilege to give a little talk about woodturning at my grandson's kindergarten class. I enjoyed being there and I hope that they all learned a little bit. My grandson asked to do this back before Christmas but we could not arrange a time that worked. I showed a log, a bowl blank, a...
  2. Wayne Bower

Walnut Bowls

This bowl is about 10" in diameter, 5" high. The walnut came from a person in our parish who had seen the bowl that I donated to a church auction. I did not know them but they did bring me 2 nice chunks of walnut from a parent's home in Michigan. I met the parents this last week and gave them...
  3. Wayne Bower

Spalted Maple

This one is approximately 12" in diameter, 4" high. It is from an old piece of maple that had been on the ground for some time. Pretty soft in places, but some sanding sealer and a sharp gouge seemed to get the soft stuff finished out. My wife wanted it with thick sides and it is now the...
  4. Wayne Bower

Maple Crotch

I haven't posted anything for quite a while as I could not figure out how to resize the pics to post. Thanks to Vaughn and his little tut that I found for resizing photos I have figured out how to post again. Thanks again Vaughn. This one is approx 10" in diameter, 8" high. It is a crotch...
  5. Wayne Bower

Retired One Year

Well, I have been offically retired for a year now (July 1). I have got to say I am enjoying it. The wife and I just did a 2 week trip which included the Blue Ridge Parkway. Met a turner at one of the craft and art stores that are along the way. We had a great time traveling.
  6. Wayne Bower

Happy Holidays

Just thought I would stop in and wish everyone Happy Holidays. Also, I am really enjoying being retired. (retired in July of this year) Wayne
  7. Wayne Bower

Little Gloat

I received an email from a new gallery that is starting up in Beatrice and Lincoln, NE. They have asked me to display some bowls. I of course told them I would be honored. The lady that is involved in the gallery saw my work at a little arts and craft shop in Frankfort, KS. and liked it. I...
  8. Wayne Bower

New lathe

Well, I finially did it. Ordered a new 1642 EVS 1.5 hp from Woodsmith here in Des Moines. They were able to meet and beat the Amazon price and there was no shipping charge. Only took a week for it to get here. Jeff and I picked it up Saturday, put it together and I have turned some with it...
  9. Wayne Bower

Gifts

Here are some of the things I made for gifts. The stoppers have gone to my kids, some go workers, etc. The coffee mug were for my two sons and my son in law. Had to wait until after they had received them to post this as one of my sons is a member here. The mugs were a chalange as I made...
  10. Wayne Bower

Natural Edge Bowls

Been some time since I have posted any work, so here you go. The open form natural edge bowl is walnut approximately 10 inches in diameter and 5 inches high. The closed/HF is walnut approximately 12 inches in diameter and 6 inches high at the high side. Comments are welcome.
  11. Wayne Bower

Some Hollow Forms

Here are some of the HF's that I have turned with my new steel snake. The first is a locust with some bug work on one side that I managed to save approx 6 inches high, the second is also locust approx 10 inches high, the third is hackberry approx 7 inches high and 10 inches in diameter, and the...
  12. Wayne Bower

My version of Capt Eddies Steel Snake

I ran across a article on how to build an elbo type tool. This is my version of that. I have only used it on one HF and it is not finished. I still have to do some fine tuning but I think it is going to work pretty well. Let me know what you think. This is not a hard build but does require...
  13. Wayne Bower

My version of Capt Eddies Steel Snake

I ran across an article on how to build an elbow type tool. This is my version of that tool. This is not a difficult build but does require some accurate measuring and drilling. I have about $30 in the project. I had a lot of fun with this build and the tool works very well. I do enjoy...
  14. Wayne Bower

Laser for Hollowing tool

Well, I have built a captured hollowing rig and it works well for me. The problem is that I have used two cheaper laser pointers like you would use for presentations and they have both quit working. I am guessing that they are not designed for that type of work. Had both of them so not out...
  15. Wayne Bower

My Home Made Hollow Rig

This is my homemade hollowing rig. The shaft is 1/2" square steel, the outrigger is 1/2" steel also. The tip is a 3/16 tool steel cutter and the scraper is a section of grade 8 bolt. The high strength bolts make pretty good cutters. The handle is oak, 24” long, drilled in from the back end...