Recent content by Tom Becnel

1. Tom Becnel

New Marking Gauge

I found myself in need of a mid size marking gauge for milling rough lumber (by hand of course) so I mocked this up. It needs a better screw and knob as well as some overall refinement but I'll likely build a new one and still use this one. It's cherry, mahogany and curly pear. The knife is O1...
  2. Tom Becnel

Picayune MS

I'll be in Picayune MS tue-fri next week... Anybody around that area? Good hand tool hunting locations? Thanks! ~tom
  3. Tom Becnel

Hand Tools Research

I've recently begun working with the Louisiana State Museum of Rural Life to get their tool collection properly organized and refurbished This is the first box I've gone through and catalogued. It's mostly moulding planes and of those mostly side beads. There is still plenty to go through as...
  4. Tom Becnel

Making Moulding Planes - Wooden Planes

I have a few projects coming up that will require some rather large matched hollows & rounds and I've had some trouble finding what I need with out spending over $1k for a matched set of 20. SOooo it's time to make em myself... I was unable to locate any 8-10/4 beech locally however I was able...
  5. Tom Becnel

Hand Saws - How It's Made

I think these are worth watching if you're a hand tooler! Enjoy~ How It's Made Crosscut Saws - YouTube How it's made - hand saw - YouTube
  6. Tom Becnel

Turning Bow Saw Build

Started working on a new hand tool yesterday... A Turning Saw. This is a mock up for a nicer one but I'm sure it will be usable all the same. I went with an oak frame, 3/8" skip blade and aluminum pins to use as much as I could from what I already had on hand and keep the prototype cheap. I'll...
  7. Tom Becnel

Cypress Logging circa 1925

This is just awesome! Gives a new appreciation for the guys of old. It's a video of the original swamp loggers of Louisiana in the early 1900's. These guys are the reason there are sinker logs at the bottom of the bayous of Louisiana. Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF3-0NISvs4 Part 2...
  8. Tom Becnel

Too Many Vises!

I'm designing a new bench, it's going to be more of a hybrid bench to fit my own needs. It will have a 2.5" cherry top, Pecan frame and cherry drawer fronts. My question is this. I've never had / used a shoulder vise and I'm wondering if I'm missing out. I've been able to do everything I wanted...
  9. Tom Becnel

Stanley 45

I picked up an old 45 several months back and I finally got around to cleaning it up. Boy does that nickel shine! It really surprised me how well it cleaned up and I just have to share it with someone! Btw, I immersed all of the metal parts in evaporust over night then gently cleaned with 00...
  10. Tom Becnel

Hello from SE Louisiana

Hello y'all! Just saying hey and a little pertinent info about me. If any of you here frequent some of the other forums I'm sure you'll recognize me, I've been ww'n since my apprenticeship started at age 14... So about 16 yrs now. I was fortunate in having a very talented mentor who, like me...