Recent content by Terry Rodecker

1. T

A nice transformation

I've been working on a project for church, some crosses that we'll be selling at a craft fair. The project itself is exceedingly simple, just some 1x2s with a half lap joint, sanded smooth. Considering where they started out, I think the wood transformed quite nicely. Here's what the wood...
  2. T

My latest clock

I guess it's high time I posted some pics of the finished clock. I learned quite a bit from this one. I learned that oak veneered plywood doesn't finish like solid oak does. I learned that you should really use a sealer when applying a dark stain to an open grained wood like oak. This is...
  3. T

Starter lathe

Does this look like a decent starter lathe? http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/1152704821.html After seeing some of the beautiful work everyone else is creating here I have to admit, my fear of turning is starting to subside. As an added bonus my son is really wanting to get into...
  4. T

Making a bed

I'm probably about one more paycheck away from being able to afford the wood for my most ambitious project to date. LOML and I have a very nice king size mattress set but a not so nice metal bed frame for it that someone gave to us for free. She wants me to make a bed for the mattress set...
  5. T

Swap Goodies

Looks like the mailman has been busy lately. I came home today to a wonderful surprise in a box. Here's a picture of the beautiful vase/bowl that Ken Ward turned and sent me. He saved it from a firepit and gave it a whole new lease on life. I apologize for my photography skills. I'm...
  6. T

Passions outside of woodworking

Some of the recent posts coupled with some frustration on my part in the shop of late, have started me thinking about hobbies and passions we might have away from the workbench. For me it's music, specifically my trumpet. I've been playing for 30 years and never grow tired of it. Just...
  7. T

It's been one of those weeks

I wasn't able to get the clock finished before I went on vacation last week but my plan was to finish figuring out what I wanted to do while I was on vacation and then work on the clock when I got back. Well I was able to get the crown molding on and make a simple little base for it last Friday...
  8. T

Sears 12 inch Miter Saw

Does anyone else have this saw; Craftsman 12 inch compound sliding miter saw I bought this saw back in November from Sears when it was on sale. To date I've not been able to get it to reliably cut a 45 or 90 degree cut consistently when using only the positive stops for the angles...
  9. T

My latest clock

It's been the better part of 12 years since I last built a clock. That one had a lot of scroll saw work in the cabinet but it got dropped while moving. Broke my heart. It wasn't built using any plans, just a rough idea I had that I scratched out on the back of a brown paper bag. The design...
  10. T

Hello from Okie City

Good afternoon everyone. I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided it was high time I introduced myself. My name's Terry Rodecker and I hail from the great state of Oklahoma. In years gone by I helped my parents with their antique business by refinishing and refurbishing antique and...