Recent content by Steven Marlow

1. Steven Marlow

Green and Gold

The third and final coat of Arm-R-Seal went on this yesterday. I think it still needs to be rubbed-out and buffed, but I prefer to wait a week or more for the finish to fully cure. This is sycamore, about 8-1/2" diam x 3-1/2" tall. Tinted with alcohol-based transtint dye, then a gold leafed...
  2. Steven Marlow

Highly figured walnut bowl

This is the 2nd of two pieces of georgeous highly figured walnut that I picked up in Iowa on my last visit to the in-laws. It has been sitting in my garage for nearly a year while I figured out what to do with it. Finally, I gave in to temptation and decided that it was time to turn it... even...
  3. Steven Marlow

Ehhh... What's up, Doc?

While Carrotwood (Cupaniopsis anacardioides) is considered an invasive weed in Florida, it can grow to 35' tall and is often used as an ornamental shade tree. Even though it has very non-descript grain, it tends to be a pleasure to turn (big curlies!) and can be turned quite thin. This bowl is...
  4. Steven Marlow

Something Different

This "canteen vase" is 10" in diameter. Made from maple, the outer ring is segmented. The inner panels were turned sepearately, then carved with the router and a "spirocrafter." Both were dyed with transtint dyes, sealed with shellac, and finished with enamel. The carving and lip were then...
  5. Steven Marlow

Nice to Meetchya!

Greetings from sunny (and hot, and humid, and brutally muggy) Florida! I saw this forum mentioned on a few others that I read, and came over to take a look. From what I see, I'm going to like it here. Looks like a friendly bunch! Hi. I'm Steven and I'm a woodworker :wave: <All> "Hi...