Recent content by Mike Gager

1. Mike Gager

SketchUp question - simulate a carving in wood?

heres a quick 5 minute experiment to see if the follow me tool would actually work or not its not real pretty but i think with some clean-up it would work
  2. Mike Gager

so what is it with pen turning?

i mean i just dont get it, people seem to go nuts over these things. i see pens sell on ebay and such for $50-100 all the time and i see a bunch of you guys that it seems thats all you do is turn pens. so what is the draw? are you just doing them to sell or is there something more too it?
  3. Mike Gager

wood screen door build - which wood should i use?

i want to replace our back screen door with a new door and would like to try to build one myself. i plan on painting it but i wonder what type of wood would be best for that application? pine? poplar? something more outdoor friendly?
  4. Mike Gager

Mission style dresser - latest design, please critique!

ok here is the latest pic adjusted the top and bottom rails, added the curve back in on the bottom. i also made some changes to the back which arent shown
  5. Mike Gager

thanks everyone for the suggestions, i agree with pretty much everything. ive made some of the changes along with a few others. anyways check it out
  6. Mike Gager

ok this is an original design inspired by the craftsman style. im not 100% finished with it as i havent decided on a what type of joints to use on a few pieces but its pretty much done. i would like opinions on overall design and whether it would "work" if i decided to build it in wood i had to...
  7. Mike Gager

is there an easier way to get textures going in the right direction?

right now what i do is make 2 copies of whatever texture im working on and make 1 horizontal and the other vertical. then when i have a piece i want grain pattern running a certain way i use the texture that best fits however im curious if there is a much simplier way to do this? i thought...
  8. Mike Gager

is there a woodworking sketchup how-to out there somewhere?

im talking like a tutorial on how to perform certain woodworking procedures in sketchup, such as making dovetails and M&T joints? i have figured out ways to do both but wonder if there is a quicker, better, easier way to do it?
  9. Mike Gager

Mission Taboret - first sketchup model, please critique

this is a mission style taboret table that i designed taking some cues from a couple tables i saw in several woodworking books, i cant remember exactly which ones though :( anyways this is my first complete sketchup model so i hoping to get some advice on anything i should do differently. the...
  10. Mike Gager

how do i make my sketchup file smaller?

i have made a small table and tried to post it but the file size is 284KB i didnt think it was all that complicated of a model but cant get it any smaller. any suggestions?
  11. Mike Gager

table saw dust collection pipe location

hey guys i plan on having my table saw located in the center of my "shop" and i want to run the dust collection piping to it but cant figure out the best way to do this. i really dont want pipes or hoses running on the ground as they would just be in the way when walking and moving stuff around...
  12. Mike Gager

Cyanoacrylate glue vs super/krazy glue, loctite glue, etc

been searching for "CA Glue" high and low nowhere to be found locally except normal super glue which if you read the ingriedient list contains Cyanoacrylate. my thinking is these are one and the same but I see everyone using actual bottles marked "CA Glue" and everyone calls the glue by this...
  13. Mike Gager

"found" wood question

i would like to get into turning and im trying to gather as much info as possible. one thing im not sure of is whether you can turn wood that has been laying around for a long time in log form? for instance like an old tree that fell a few years ago or something similar? i know newly cut trees...
  14. Mike Gager

anyone else use the $99 ryobi table saw?

here is the zero clearence insert i made for my saw. so far its working great jerry, i agree 100% i think some people rely on the newest high dollar gadget to get the job done and forget the basics of the craft. not having the money to go buy that new widgit lets people use their imagination...
  15. Mike Gager

kreg pocket hole jig dust collector

last night i hooked up the dust collection port on my kreg jig and i was amazed at the results. without the dust collector the jig makes a huge mess, the shaving ports get clogged up and the drill bit struggles to make the cuts. with the collector hooked up theres absolutely no mess at all and...