Recent content by Kevin Vernon

1. Kevin Vernon

Finger jointed decorative cedar box

Here's that man again, Still sitting on a rapidly shrinking pile of salvaged cedar boards, constantly trying to think of things to make with the stuff. A finger-jointed decorative box, 14x8x8 inches, with a glued-up scrap/quilt lid panel. Cedar planed to 5/8" thick, 1/4" finger joints cut...
  2. Kevin Vernon

Small Keepsake Box, Christmas present.

Howdy, sawdust creators! Christmas present finished, ready to ship to its destination. The Latest Woodsmith Magazine, issue 216, had in it a small curved fingerjointed keepsake box, that I was inspired to make as a present, for an important person I tend to make things for. The body of the...
  3. Kevin Vernon

Rings.

Not truly turnings.....done without a lathe. I made the blanks, then stuffed them on an expanding sanding spindle & chucked them into my drill press. All the shaping & finishing work was done with files & sandpaper. Many Rings! :) Walnut: Walnut & Aspen Sandwich, with colored pencil...
  4. Kevin Vernon

Ring Box

A small Ring Box I made as a Birthday present for a dear friend. Bottom shell = Walnut. Top shell = Sycamore. Note to self - next one, apply the banding BEFORE cutting the box sides, so the corners of the banding line up properly when mitered. Thanks for looking, -Kevin in Indy
  5. Kevin Vernon

Updated Shop Tour: Things have changed.

The Updated Shop Tour, Part 3: Shop Tour's Revenge! Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends! (Apologies to Emerson, Lake & Palmer) From the lumber rack, we turn our attention past the overhead door, which normally lives with its opener unplugged - things often rest against that...
  6. Kevin Vernon

The Return of Shop Tour - Part 2, the Sequel We were, if you recall from our last meeting, at the very back of the shop. We shall now turn our attention forwards, and continue with this very special guided tour. Next on the agenda is the Router Table - which as you can see, serves multiple...
  7. Kevin Vernon

Willkommen, Amigos! In the past, I have posted various "Shop Tour" threads. As a preface, allow me to link to them here. http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?7449-Tour-Time!-(Inline-pics-dialups-take-note)...
  8. Kevin Vernon

Finishing......Cedar?

Glenn, Thanks, the Cedar absorbing odors had not occurred to me - I guess I missed that. I used a Pecan stain, and overcoated with some spray Poly - I had the salvaged Cedar on hand, and both the stain & spray poly were left over from other projects. The drawer pulls were made from...
  9. Kevin Vernon

Finishing......Cedar?

Hi, gang. Got a bit of a project I'm working on....a kitchen-counter sized storage box, couple of drawers, angled top, to prop up a cookbook/printed sheets of recipes/tablet. The whole thing is made from cedar.....salvaged cedar that cost me precisely zero. I was just wondering....since one...
  10. Kevin Vernon

CheeseBoard, from scrap on hand.

Christmas present done, made for the "Family Free-for-all" gift exchange, so no idea who will end up with it. A simple cheeseboard, knocked together from scrap bits I had on hand (There's virtue in saving those little off-cuts - no matter how insignificant they seem) Strips & stripes...
  11. Kevin Vernon

Benchtop Tool Cabinet

A simple cabinet of drawers to sit on a benchtop (exactly where, I have yet to determine). Plywood & Sycamore. Drawer bottoms/slides from 1/4" ply, drawer fronts sourced from miscellaneous scrap bits lying around the shop. There are more photos posted to both my Flickr page...
  12. Kevin Vernon

Recycling Project

Some time back, I spotted this little shelf at a garage sale, and bought it for $1. Thinking it would be perfect as a shot glass rack, I discovered that the spacing between the shelves was about 1/8" too narrow for standard-sized shot glasses. Flipping it over & looking at the back, I saw...
  13. Kevin Vernon

Need Confuser assistance, Re: Spreadsheets.

I have several old spreadsheets - various inventories - that were created using Lotus 123. Is there an easy way, or ANY way, to convert those file to something that can be opened with either MS Office, or OpenOffice? :huh::dunno: -Kevin in Indy (hoping someone can point him in the right...
  14. Kevin Vernon

In which we add a new router table to the chaos

The ongoing evolution of my Shop has achieved another milestone. Quite some time back, like I dunno, a year and a half or something, I posted some pics of a stand/cabinet I built for my little Ryobi benchtop Table Saw. This past January, I finally upgraded that toy to a "Real" table saw...
  15. Kevin Vernon

Cedar display shelf

A while back I posted a gloat about salvaging some rough-cut cedar boards. This thread: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?p=168370#post168370 Here are some pics of the first completed project using those salvaged boards. A friend of mine was wanting a display rack for shot...