Recent content by Ed Gerhard

1. E

Granddaughter birthday plan

My granddaughter is 3 yrs old. Last year I was visiting, and couldn't help but notice the toy mountain. Actually some of mine were on that hill. She does appreciate her toy gifts, but the memory of who the giver was fades, and how long do toys last anyway. So I decided that at least for her...
  2. E

Pentel step drill

This is actually a turning thing, but it's a new tool to me. If it belongs someplace else please let me know. I've been a big fan of Pentel click-top pencils for years, and consider them to be the best mechanism of this type ever...far better than anything available from the pen kit suppliers...
  3. E

Drum sander

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some kind of drum sander (not one of those huge things that Norm has). Still doing the research. Sears is selling a Craftsman Professional 18" open end drum sander for $699 (normally $899) "while supplies last". I long ago decided that Sears wasn't my...
  4. E

Hinge Mortising

If you occasionally (or often) cut hinge mortises for small boxes, clock doors, etc., you might enjoy this tool. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57677&cat=1,230,41182 Although not specifically touted for this purpose, I find it perfect for making the final pass over the mortise...
  5. E

Makita BDF452HW

This is an 18V lithium-ion cordless drill that was given a good rating by Fine Woodworking. Normally I don't pay much attention to those tests, but this one drilled the most holes, drove the most screws, and pretty much did more than whatever else the guy tried. So since I need a new one, why...
  6. E

Shaper rub collars plus.....

All these items are from Grizzly, and can be seen at their website. The rub collars are the two Woodstock International sets, G3362 and G3363. I used at most two of these, but when I looked them over couldn't tell which two...maybe one. Only a couple of times. The others have never been used...
  7. E

Incra Glidelock miter bar

Taylor Design Group (Incra) is now selling the Glidelock miter bars as standalone items. Two lengths. If you've ever used an Incra miter gauge with one of these bars you know how well they work. Not cheap, as miter bars go, but worth it imo...
  8. E

Leigh Isoloc

I'm thinking about getting the Key and Mirror Isoloc template for my Leigh D4 for making small boxes. Has anybody used one of those? Is it a go-to tool or a dust-gatherer? Thanks. Cheers.
  9. E

Wilton woodworking vise

Anybody know anything about Wilton woodworking vises? I'm trying to decide what to use for a face vise, and this looks like a good candidate. Here's something that confuses me (one of the many) -- Amazon has two Wiltons available that seem identical, but model numbers are different and prices...
  10. E

Fitting a tool tang

I know this isn't much of a turning project in terms of complexity, but I'm trying to get a longer handle on one of my roughing gouges. The tang on the tool is flat and tapered. What's the best way to make a seat for the tool? Judy recommends drilling it out using 2 or 3 different size bits...
  11. E

Leigh FMT - SOLD

I have a Leigh FMT and the complete set of joint guides that I don't use anymore. If there's any interest let me know and I'll work up some photos, maybe we can strike a deal. I bought this from Lee Valley about three years ago, not sure. Came out in 2004 so wasn't too long. You can see it on...
  12. E

Timber Wolf special

Suffolk Machinery is currently running a bandsaw blade special. If you buy any three blades listed on the Silicon Steel Blade Selection Chart you get a fourth blade free. The three blades don't have to be alike. Mention code SP08 when you order. I just ordered a 1/4x6, 1/2x4 (2), and a 3/4x4...
  13. E

Hmmm...shades of something

Just discovered this page...guess I should have come here first. Reminds me of those meetings where the guy up front says we have a new member, stand up and tell us something about yourself. Well, long ago I was born and now I'm old. In between I graduated from the Naval Academy, spent some time...