Recent content by Doug M Jones

1. D

First (maybe last) Craft show

I spent both days this weekend manning a booth at the local craft show. The show has a history of big crowds and being kind to vendors. I sold a few bottle stoppers and angel christmas ornaments and 5 slimlines. I was kinda discouraged. After table rent and raw materials I cleared about $125...
  2. D

Anyone have the Monster Hollowing System for the Jet Mini ?

I have been saving for the Monster Hollowing system for the Jet Mini and wondered if anyone has first hand experience. Any information you could provide would be great. Thanks, Doug
  3. D

Thanks Bernie

After reading Bernie's posts about Doug Thompson lathe tools I took the plunge at the Richmond symposium. Bought 3 bowl gouges and 1 detail gouge. Happy to report that they are everything he said they were. Hold an edge a long time and cut like butter. Bought a couple handles from Jeff Peebles...
  4. D

Question for Burl Pen Turners

I bought an assortment of burl pen blanks on EBAY. I turned one from Red Mallee burl for my pen swap for Kevin. It looked really nice, dark red with lots of figure and I was very pleased. I didn't send it because my daughter had the camera at school but when I pulled it out this past weekend to...
  5. D

Web Site Help Needed

I made my first sale of pens prior to Christmas. My sister bought 20 assorted acrylic slimlines and 6 wooden cigar pens for her department as Christmas Presents. I used the profit to buy an extension for the Jet mini and purchase the kits to do another 20 my daughter used as favors for the...
  6. D

She left me speechless (pre-emptive gloat)

I made a small box for my mom for Christmas and my wife Cindy came down to watch me for a while. I am a fairly new turner having my Jet Mini about 9 months and have a boxed set of beginner tools that I bought when I got the lathe. I have added a couple of better tools but the budget doesn't...