Recent content by Chas Jones

1. Chas Jones

Moss Mountains

I suspect the nearest we've experienced is a short visit in San Antonio area (by road) as an aside from a family gathering in Dallas (Plano), Other than that family related trip, I've only had a few weeks in California (Sacramento), and Oklahoma City on work related trips, fortunately all at...
  2. Chas Jones

Moss Mountains

We have or had (anno domini rules) several USA friends and family members who found it hard to get to grips with the climate vagaries of a small island climate when here for extended periods. Even family members living in central Europe find it so different to their experience at home if they...
  3. Chas Jones

Moss Mountains

Mulling over the conundrum of rampant moss whilst doing a bit of remedial wall painting (its raining again) I believe I've answered my own localised befuddled battle with moss. 1. To rapidly kill lush green growing moss you introduce it to Iron sulphate, it turns black within minutes of...
  4. Chas Jones

Moss Mountains

I remain completely confused on the subject of moss around here and soil acidity, Moss is an acid loving and generating species, this is a Limestone area, I can dig down a couple of foot and retrieve Cotswold Limestone suitable for building construction, how come I need to apply a heavy...
  5. Chas Jones

Moss Mountains

We'll raise you an ubiquitous baseline lichen undercoat and high end moss varieties. A heavy rainstorm can see us clearing a couple of buckets of moss hung up in in roof guttering and from downpipe drain grill traps.
  6. Chas Jones

Moss Mountains

I buy Iron sulphate by the 25KG bag, and hit the moss with a spray solution every year in spring, supposedly before it starts sending spores out, and whenever I spot it rearing its head, but with the crazy climate swings we've been having I suspect it is ignoring the reproduction calendar and...
  7. Chas Jones

Moss Mountains

Think it's safe to say we have a an idea of what a very wet winter means for unwanted moss cultivation. Another half day (some hopes) without rain may see us giving it best for a while. Not that we are too precious about the patches of grass but when the Lawn mower starts getting bogged up...
  8. Chas Jones

Nosy Neighbor Part 637

We've owned three properties over 60+ years and only had one individual that turned obnoxious during the last eighteen months of a 9 yr. tenure in the middle one, first community and current one could not be better, great friendship and always someone willing to lend a helping hand. Had a few...
  9. Chas Jones

A nice turning wood

Like the form and proportions, tight joints like those are not easy to achieve.
  10. Chas Jones

Is Stu (from Tokyo) still here?

Not Stu's, but these links may be of interest. These profile guides any Use Old UK forum thread. Some Gouge setting ideas ideas
  11. Chas Jones

Will this stop the cracking?

I can only suggest to seal ends, put in thick paper sacks, dry as slowly as possible. This is a little missive I wrote some years ago as a guide based on my experiences in the UK.
  12. Chas Jones

Friday 02FEB24

Thanks Vaughn, fortunately we are both reasonably active, other than the usual peripheral niggles that come with advanced anno-domini. Yes it's a a very agreeable place, comfortable aperitif and post meal coffee/cocktail lounge and excellent food with Silver Service throughout and prices that...
  13. Chas Jones

Friday 02FEB24

Morning outing to pick up meds from local docs, down the valley to pick up a bit of basic food shopping and mid day meal out at adjacent hostelry. Topped up car fuel tank and back home to wash the bulk of the local farm residue off the car ready for early morning start to Daughters tomorrow, (2...
  14. Chas Jones

Snow blower exhaust repair advise

Do you have a standard set of taps? And do you have enough material in the muffler flange to go up a size in fixing bolt. (3/8"?) If so how about just opening the 'stripped' hole up to the next thread size, should be close to tapping size for next size thread.
  15. Chas Jones

Sanding Internals of small projects

A tip I came across today by a member on a UK forum regarding sanding inside small pots etc. He uses a Tooth Brush with a slit in the end to hold a strip of Net Abrasive, ( Sianet, Abranet etc.) the bristles help to persuade the abrasive to follow any internal curves.