Recent content by Alan R McDaniel Jr

1. A

Happy Birthday Rennie Heuer!

The second 29 is not so bad. Getting through the third one is a bit rough…. Keep having birthdays for as long as you can! Alan
  2. A

Bandsaw blades

Since I never throw anything away… I have accumulated a number of used bandsaw blades (some for which I have no bandsaw anymore). So, pretending to be busy, I started going through them to get the “still too good to throw away” ones out ready to be used (or not)…. lots of them still have some...
  3. A

Nosy Neighbor Part 637

While you have Google open look up how they set fruit. Alan
  4. A

Nosy Neighbor Part 637

I like the ones that tell you, “Well, the people who owned this property before you bought it didn’t mind if we, crossed it, cut firewood, drove around down here, etc, etc, etc….”. Sounds to me like they should have bought it when it was for sale... Hey, are you using a router? What? Are you...
  5. A

Happy Birthday Alan R McDaniel Jr!

Thanks again for all the well wishes. I’ve got my grandson over today. An old man and a 4 yr old can find plenty of fun stuff to do! Alan
  6. A

Happy Birthday Alan R McDaniel Jr!

Wow! a new cake! Thanks guys. I’m going to keep having birthdays as long as I can… The shop’s been in disarray this winter. I’ll try to get back into it this spring, between gardening and fishing trips… Alan
  7. A

What do you know about anchors?

I would place a decorative steel post on either side of the bottom of the steps and another next to each wall and build the rail off of that. What I wouldn't do is drill into the limestone with the expectation that it was not going to crack or break, either while drilling or when someone falls...
  8. A

The time has come

rounded the corner one morning and Richard was standing in his permanent hunched over state, chainsaw in hand and looking at a hackberry log on his fence and roof that was half his age. He was likely late 70s at that time. I stopped and offer help. He said, thanks but no, he had it. I...
  9. A

Happy Birthday Vaughn McMillan!

Just goes to show what clean living will do for you.... Alan
  10. A

We are saved! We are going to move the earth!

But, but, but... Greta and Al said,... oh, wait, that was Wednesday.... Alan
  11. A

I can really see a use for one of these. I have a small shop and looks like I always well

It is a clever design that would be great for an organized person... Workbenches, shelves, tables, open floor space all become one thing for me... a place to pile or stuff junk.... Alan
  12. A

I need some advice...

Thanks Ryan. The spar varnish seems to be the consensus opinion from other sources as well. The bench will be in a cemetery under a live oak tree. It'll get wet but won't have much direct South Texas sun. I bought 18 plots around the tree and had to fill the first one yesterday with my second...
  13. A

I need some advice...

I'm going to make a mesquite bench for outdoor use. The slabs are many years dry and are 2" thick. The bench will be exposed completely to the elements year round for from now on. I considered epoxy but don't know if it would bubble and flake off... Or is there some better way to preserve it...
  14. A

Restore-a-Finish

Thanks for the responses. I have passed the information on to the interested party... Alan
  15. A

Restore-a-Finish

#1 wife asked me to post the question: Has anyone had any experience with "Restore-a-Finish" https://www.howardproducts.com/product/restor-a-finish/ I've seen the can in the store but never used it... Alan